I had the
pleasure of taking Jaime to the pediatrician today. This coming after a phone call to poison control last night. Here's the story...Jaime got into and spilled his non-toxic, environmentally-friendly medical adhesive remover. This is a product that we use to remove his monitor leads or tape/bandages because of his sensitive skin. Anyway, he spilled it all over his legs, arm and stomach. I cleaned him up and put him to bed. Yesterday morning he woke up with diarrhea...which I was assuming was from all of the Miralax...and his one thigh was a bit red. I again assumed it was from his diarrhea. By the time I came home from work, Jaime's legs, stomach and arm were flaming red and very tender. I was no longer thinking that the redness was from his diarrhea. (Hence the call to the poison control). Poison control told me that a rash could develop from the adhesive remover, but she wasn't sure that it was from it because of the delayed response and instructed me to call the pediatrician...I did. She called me back saying to dress the blisters and bring him in today.
So, this afternoon, I brought Jaime (and Jared, as he's off on spring break) to the pediatrician. She examined him and said that he has 2nd degree chemical burns (and one area of a 3rd degree burn) on his legs. CRAZY stuff, that's all I can say! There's no reason for that to have happened from that adhesive, but I can assure you that we will not be using it ever again. Here's a pic I took of Jaime at the peds....you can see the burn/blisters on his legs. The left one has "opened" tonight and the right one opened yesterday. The bad part is that the burned areas are rubbing against his diaper, so the bandages keep falling off. We are due back in to the pediatrician for Jaime's "well visit" on Monday, so she'll recheck his burns then. Oh and for those of you who are curious...Jaime was 25lbs today. I looked back at Jared's old records, he was 25lbs 9oz and 33 in. tall at 18 months old! So, Jaime's 6 months behind his bro! ;)
Poor guy - poor Mom! I have highly sensitive skin too - the oddest things cause something. I just wish you could have one night, then two of drama free...I hope they heal well!
ReplyDeleteWe have that same remover from Emily's Cardio caths. She hasn't had any kind of reaction from it, but I did just make sure it's not with in her reach, just incase. Hope Jaime heals quickly.
ReplyDeleteJaime only got to it because Jared had pulled down the medical supply cubby. I walked out for like 2 seconds...walked back in just as Jaime was pouring it out. I grabbed him and immediately took him to the bathroom to clean him. Jaime's always had sensitive skin (remember the scalded skin staph infection when he was less than 2 wks old?) I still think it's just bizarre.
ReplyDeletepoor baby w those sores!! ugh! =0(
ReplyDeleteI was trying to get an RX for that stuff (yea they said I needed RX!) but now no thanks! I'll just have Camden continuing to look like I dont bathe him with dirty tape marks. ;p
Camden is about same age as Jaime, and 25 lbs too =0)
Prayers that he heals up fast!!
Thanks, Devon. We've been using it for TWO YEARS, I don't get it! I just wonder if it burned so bad because it wasn't "spritzed" on and it was at full strength when he dumped it on? Or maybe he just had a chemical reaction with the soap I used to wash it off? The crazy part is-the reaction didn't happen until almost 24 hours later.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. What else can happen? Scary stuff. Oh and he's catching up to Kamryn. She's 27 pounds. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteStephanie