1) Respiratory infection
2) Bilateral hand splints
3) Mother's Day
4) New PJ's from Grammy
5) First time in shorts
6) ER visit for Respiratory distress
7) Admit
8) Less frequent therapy visits
9) Lots of GI issues
10) Jared was sick!
The following is the long version of events the last few weeks:
Since Jaime's "well visit" he has gotten sick. He got an upper respiratory infection. He had a lot of congestion and was coughing. I took him to the pediatrician and he gave me a prescription for steroids, but told me not to start it unless Jaime got really bad. Well after a few days, he actually seemed better. Then, it started all over again.
I had a very nice Mother's Day, as the boys took me to brunch. It was a beautiful warm day and the food was DELICIOUS! It was that night that Jaime started getting bad again. We were back to the snotty nose, coughing, gagging, throwing up! UGH! I thought I would give him another day or two because he truly was better. I went to work on Monday, he was OK. He was very sleepy and still snotty. I worked on Tuesday...I got a call from Jaime's nurse saying that he threw up his lunch and seemed off. By the time I came home, he seemed OK. It was nice out and he wanted to play outside. (It was his first time wearing shorts this year!) So I took him out for a bit. It was about an hour after we came inside that things got ugly. his breathing went down hill, he was coughing a lot couldn't catch his breath. I gave him two breathing treatments and started his steroids. The treatments didn't make him better, I made the decision to take him to the ER.
Once there, Jaime received a continuous Albuterol/Atrovent treatment and got a chest x-ray. The x-ray just showed streaking in his lungs...as we would expect him to have, especially in the middle of an asthma attack. Well, the continuous treatment didn't initially work. once it was done, he was coughing and threw up. It was then that the ER dr. said she needed to transfer and admit him. Tom and I saw that coming, he really was bad. At one point the ER dr. said that if he doesn't get better soon, we were looking at an intubation! (breathing tube being put down Jaime's airway). An IV was inserted and steroids were given to him, FINALLY he was doing better. To be honest, I think he was so exhausted by the whole episode. The ER dr. called the Critical Transport team to get Jaime to take him down to CCF main campus. The team was AMAZING! :) We had 2 nurses and 2 paramedics on board. They were really great with Jaime and we were down there within 15 minutes.
Jaime spent the night in the hospital. He was given several different breathing treatments and 3 more doses of IV steroids. He was released the following day with 2 different types of nebulizer medications, 2 inhalers and 1 oral steroid. He is doing OK today, but he's still super snotty.
In the midst of all of that...he's still having several GI issues. If he's not constipated he's having diarrhea or he's throwing up. (I had the "pleasure" of being thrown up just this afternoon...EWEEEE!) Cincinnati is just 15 days away...I can not wait to go! We NEED answers and solutions as to how to "fix" his issues. He's still waking up a lot during the night, too...a bit less since I started warming Pediasure with cereal in it. (Thank God!) My fear now is that since he's been so unstable from a respiratory standpoint, that he may not be able to go to the OR. Jaime's Cleveland pulmonologist was going to be seeing Jaime's Cincinnati one at a conference, so he plans on discussing Jaime's case with him. We'll see what happens! Either way, we will be going because even if he's not well enough for the OR, he'll be OK for all of the other appointments.
To top last week off, Jared was sick. Well, Tom has been sick on and off, first with respiratory, then with GI stuff. Jared had the GI bug at the end of the week. He's totally fine now! :) Just wish Jaime was! :(
Other news to share is that Jaime's weight was 26.06lbs in the hospital and he's back to wearing bilateral thumb splints. His therapists said that he's doing so well that they are cutting back to maybe once a month. They talked about discharging him all together, but I asked them not to do that yet...not until we know what's going to happen in Cincinnati.
That's about all! Here are some pics from the last few weeks!
Kitchen Sink Bath, day 4 of being sick!

Time to close, I have some cleaning and laundry to finish up while the monkey is sleeping! I'll try to be better about blogging so that they won't have to be this long in the future. The blog was actually down for maintenance for a few days, so that's why the delay in telling you all of Jaime's admit. (I've been giving updates via Facebook, so if you're not on my friends list and want to be, just "request" me! :)Hope everyone has a great week! I'm hoping that the weather gets better, we've only had about 3 days of sun, the rest has been rain! We still have a leaky roof, the weather needs to stay nice so that the roofers can come and fix it, so I really, really want it to be sunny! (I'm tired of dumping out pales of rain from inside my house! ;(
To better days.....











No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.