Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 16, 2010

20 Months Old

Silly Baby taking a bath in the kitchen sink!
Most of the water if gone because he splashed it everywhere! HA!

Jaime's 20 month old "birthday" was busy as usual! I had training, so he had a nurse here most of the day. Once I came home, Jaime's Synagis nurse came over to give him his 2 shots, then we were off to the doctors. Why did we go to the drs? Well, pretty much if it isn't one thing, it's another! Here's a little bit of what we've been dealing with over the last few weeks. Jaime's been having lots of issues with digestion over the last few weeks. If he wasn't vomiting, he was very constipated and required lots of Milk of Mag and Miralax with no solid foods just to "go." Once he went, we noticed what food we were putting in was coming out looking the same no matter which end it came out. So, yes, there's definitely some sort of digestive thing going on, we have an appointment with GI on Jan. 6th. So, we'll see what's up then.
Along with all of this digestion stuff...Jaime just hasn't been acting "normal." He's been really pale and not sleeping at all! (YAWN) So, after not sleeping for 3 nights in a row (me because of him), I decided that someone needed to look at him. I originally called ENT, thinking it was his ears. Then, I mentioned the GI stuff to her, so she thought that it be best to go to the pediatrician. Call number 2 was to peds office. I set up a 4:00 appointment. Jaime's "normal" pediatrician wasn't there, so we saw one of her partners...one who has never seen Jaime before (he's seen Jared, just not Jaime). So, I was still thinking it was his ears...until the dr. checked them and said they were "PERFECT." WHAT? REALLY? Jaime's ears are perfect? AMAZING! :) While I was super excited about this, I was kind of bummed that it wasn't as simple as this! ;( So, moving on with the exam, he checked his lungs...clear (yea!), his belly was soft (yea!)....he checked his teeth, in which he's teething, finally the dr. checked his throat. Well, my friends, we found a culprit to his latest irritability. Jaime has tonsillitis and a very bad throat infection, most likely a virus, as the rapid strep came back negative. He has very swollen tonsils with pus all over them and down his throat, as well as extremely swollen lymph-nodes. Who would have thought? The dr. and I were both shocked. It's pretty unusual for a baby to get tonsillitis. It's even more unusual for it to be strep, so we're thinking the final culture will be negative, too. The biggest downfall with the strep being negative is that there's no cut and dry way to clear the infection. We're just going to have to keep an eye on Jaime and hope for the best. He truly had no symptoms other than irritability and paleness...no fever...yet. The dr. said he will probably get worse over the next few days before he starts to get better, I hope not. He is starting to decrease his fluids and with all of his bowel issues, his eating has been horrible. As for his weight, today he was 22.08lbs on our home scale completely naked and 23lbs on the dr. scale completely clothed with a diaper, so we're going to say that 22.08lbs is where he's at. The only "good" news is that Jaime's up 4 ounces from where he was 2 weeks ago.
So, that's what's happening here! Please keep Jaime in your thoughts that this infection doesn't turn into something really ugly! Thanks! Happy Holidays...they're just around the corner! :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope that he gets over this quickly and this is the worst of it. Perhaps the digestion issues are because of the infection too? One never knows - everything is so interconnected inside.

    Happy Holidays to one of my favorite families in OH!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.