Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Post-Op Day 1

All things considered, Mr. Jaime did AWESOME! He was a bit restless last night, I ended up giving him 2 doses of Tylenol. He threw up a few times, but after that, all he wanted to do was drink...he had 20oz. of Pediasure, just during the night!
He did OK today. He's not a fan of ear drops, though, that's for sure! I basically have to pin him down to do them, but the good news is, Jaime's OR nurse called tonight to check on him and said that we only have to do them through tomorrow! :)
Speaking of Jaime's OR nurses...they were such a great team! I am so pleased with the Clinic. I ended up having to go by myself and they were so incredibly supportive. The anesthesiologist was in the room the entire pre-op and during Jaime's "unstable" post-op period. They were an amazing bunch of people! Jaime's nurse, Amy, was super cute. She was from the Philippines and had an accent, but tried to comfort Jaime by singing Christmas carols to him...then another nurse came in and joined her! :) She told us that they don't have Rudolph in the Philippines...HA! She made sure I ate, well, I had some graham crackers and water, she tried to offer me more, but I wasn't up for it at the time. She was the one who took the pics yesterday. And she gave Jaime a stocking with 2 books and pencils for Jared! She called tonight to check on Jaime and she told me he was such an adorable, easy patient for her, she enjoyed caring for him! Likewise, we enjoyed her!
When the drs. were in the room, Ashley, the Childlife Specialist came in to "play" with Jaime. She brought the bubbles in which Jaime had to carry into the OR. HA! From the check-in counter to post-op, even the valet, a great experience all around!
Now back to Mr. Jaime. He's so incredibly vocal today...and loud, too. It's amazing what "unblocked" ears and clean lungs will getcha! ;) He said "Elbo" for Elmo today for the first time and when I asked him if it was OK for Jared to go to school, he said "SURE" very loudly and then "ba bye." He's never said "bye" before. I wouldn't think that the tubes would work so quickly, but I'm sure he's got to feel better overall without his ears being plugged.
I made a call to Cincy today! God bless, Debbie in high risk! She listened to me ramble for nearly a half hour today! :) I told her all about the surgery and the airway thing...I asked, even though I kind of knew the answer...if Jaime's narrowed airway was a CDH thing or a Jaime thing...it's a "Jaime thing." :( She, too, said that knowing it will change our course of treatment for when he's ill. It's a good discovery to have made sooner rather than later. I also told her about his weight...or lack there of...she was going to consult the dietitian and neonatologist for advice. He's such a peanut...as I know many of these kiddos are!
On a final note...our plans to go to Cincy just before Christmas have been canceled due to drs. not being around. We're still going to make a trip to Cincy before the end of the year, just not before Christmas.
Before I go, I'd like to thank Colleen for our awesome Mexican dinner tonight! It was so nice not having to cook for two nights in a row! :) It was also great not having to worry about dinner tonight because Tom was gone and I had my presentation to do...and take care of the boys! All went well...for the most part. My computer did something weird causing me to fumble a bit on my first slide...I think I had too much open and it crashed all went black...but I think I recovered on my second slide! ;)
That's about all...here's a pic of Jaime in his new "sleep travel tent." Thanks, Nana for Jaime's (I mean, MY) early Christmas gift...he (WE) love it! I think it will work out just fine and definitely a space saver! (And thanks, Julianne for the "Elbo" basketball outfit...Jaime wore it in honor of Lebron playing in Cleveland tonight. HA! Too bad we lost! :(

3 comments:

  1. Glad that Jaime is doing well! I, too, love that Debbie in high risk. Such a caring, compassionate, individual. I hope your project was recovered and you got yourself an "A"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Jaime!!!! Glad he is feeling better... what a little trooper!!!
    Gabi has the same bed however she hates it!!!

    ((((HUGS))))
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Jaime did so well! What a rock star!!
    darcy

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.