Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, January 17, 2011

21 Months Old....ER....Spoon....

Well now that title is a mouthful...pun intended! ;)
Yesterday Jaime turned 21 months old. I can't believe that in just 3 short months, Jaime's going to be TWO! Where has the time gone?!?
Well, for Jaime's 21 month "birthday" we took him to the ER. Let's back track a little-I ended my last post with me not feeling well. I ended up having the flu (chills/respiratory symptoms) all week. Well, it's no surprise that the boys got pieces and parts of it, too. Jared came home from school with a bad headache and low grade fever on Friday...once home, Jaime's nurse told me that he, too, had a fever. Jared's "flu" turned into sinus junk, but Jaime's just consisted of a really high fever...104+ degrees with no other symptoms...or so we thought. The boys' pediatrician put them both on Tamiflu on Friday...Jaime's was covered, Jared's wasn't, so we weren't able to get his. We tried to get the medicine into Jaime several times...he wasn't having any of it. By Saturday, he had completely stopped drinking...had only 2 wet diapers and was didn't have a temp lower than 102.6. I called the dr. they told us to wait it out. Sunday came...Jaime's temp was back up to 104.6...I called the dr. again. She told us to wait 4 hours to see if we could get it down, if not call her back. We were able to get Mortin into Jaime (with lots of forcing), he seemed better. He was super clingy...and on one of the times I had to put him down, he started screaming...I got a really good look into his throat....only to find that his tonsils were huge and white, poor kid! I called the dr. back to tell her that I found Jaime's source of infection, she told me to take him to the ER to make sure it's not strep. Not that it should be with his age, but we still went. The strep was negative! As much as I hate to say it, I wish it were positive because it would have been so much easier to treat. He would have gotten a shot of antibiotics and we'd be done with it, but nooooooo.
Fast forward to today...Jaime had another rough night last night. He woke up at 7 something, I went to shower around 10 and put him in his crib to play, he fell asleep and slept until almost 1. I came home from work, he had a 102.8 temp again. I was able to get some Motrin in him again and I gave him a Tylenol suppository (it's the only sure way to give him medicine, I HATE it, so does he). By dinner time, he was a new kid...which brings me to "Spoon" in the title.
Look what someone used with his cinnamon cream of wheat....and rather enjoyed it, I might add! :)


I tried to feed him his Cream of Wheat, but he wouldn't have it, so I handed him the bowl. He looked at me, tried to put his fingers in the bowl, I told him "no" and handed him the spoon. After a few tries, he was doing it all by himself. He'd even try to stick his hand in the bowl, look at me, say "nooooo," laugh and use the spoon. It was super cute. Now you all know that I took like 12 pictures of him using his spoon, but I'll spare you all of those, tee, hee!
By this evening, he was back to being fussy. I think it will be a long night! On the plus side, I called ENT first thing this morning and we have an appointment tomorrow. We're all a bit uncertain as to why he'd get two significant throat infections in less than a month. It's certainly suspicious at best. Hoping we get to the bottom of this soon! There's been mention about possibly removing Jaime's tonsils and adenoids both here in Cleveland and in Cincinnati, but we were all thinking that would be something to explore "down the road," maybe that road is shorter than we think?!?
Anyway, Jaime's fussing...again, so I better go...all he wants is to be held. Here's to better days! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I look forward to the day when the girls can use a spoon. That is so great. Time is just flying by, isn't it??? The twins turned 19 months yesterday. So hard to believe. Having to see a speech therapist for Brooke. More on the blog about that in a few weeks after we have the consultation. She needs to have her hearing checked too. I'm a bit worried. She just isn't talking like Kamryn is. Scary!!! Always thinking of you!!!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.