Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Another ER Trip

This is just wayyyyy too crazy not to post! Jaime got hurt at the zoo yesterday. I didn't want to post it yesterday because I wanted to focus on the awesome time we had! Well, after getting off of the train...in which he LOVED, I had to put Jaime back in his stroller. He was not having this! He was fighting me putting him in it...I tried to hold him down to strap him in, he got out and stood up. Just as I was trying to get him down, he collapsed his legs and twisted his left one in a way that I've never seen one move before. He started screaming bloody murder and it bruised just above his knee right away. I held my icee cup on it...it didn't swell too much. Fast forward to this morning...he wasn't moving too much and was guarding his left leg. By early afternoon, he was being his crazy self again, figuring out how to move with a gimp leg. After his nap...YES, he NAPPED today (at which time Jared and I went to Opening Day at the Pool!) Back to Jaime...after his nap, he was really guarding it and was non-weight bearing. By 4:00 P.M. I decided to take him to the ER. God bless Hillcrest Peds ER! :) An x-ray was ordered...and this is what it looked like.



This is an image of Jaime's tibia and fibula. Notice the fibula (the smaller bone) is bowed. Yea, that's not supposed to be like that. It should be straight like the tibia. The dr. called it a "plastic deformation" otherwise known as a type of bowed fracture. Needless to say, we will be seeing ortho on Monday to figure out what we're going to do about it. Marina (the ER doc) said that most likely they will immobilize it in some way, but she didn't want to do it because it's not like he's walking yet, so he won't hurt it more over the next day and a half. She said he'll be happier without something on it....for now! So, I guess this post is to be continued.....

On the plus side, Jared and I did have fun at the pool. He went in the water, I just dangled my feet in it and boy was it chilly! Here's a pic of Jared after coming down the slide!


P.S. Overall Jaime is just fine, he's just guarding his injury, but not in visible pain unless you touch his leg.

1 comment:

  1. oh my, I winced just reading this---I hate to see kids hurt. I'll put him on my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.