I think that is the first time we've EVER been well at our "well check." Jaime's stats today were 22.10 lbs, 31 in. tall and his head is 19 in. His height and weight are in the....drum roll please....10%-15% and his head is in the 65%-70%. Now, the only thing that dropped was his height, he was close to 35%, but has dropped to 10%-15%. That's OK, it's not like we can make the boy grow in length.
As for his ears...they STILL have fluid in them, but look "good." We were at the ENT on Tuesday who said that his ears were no longer infected, but that there was a lot of fluid in them and his right ear drum was retracted. We also discussed getting Jaime tubes, but she wanted to consult with the rest of the CCF airway team first. Well, she got back to me this afternoon...the drs. have agreed to give Jaime 6 more weeks to see how he does. This is good and bad...the main reason for the wait is...c'mon take one guess?!? Jaime's hemophilia...it puts him at a whole new level of risks! Nobody wants to touch the hemo! The tubes aren't such a huge deal, but here's the thing, they're thinking that while Jaime's under anesthesia, they might scope him, too...that's kind of where the risks come in to play. We'll see, we are all hoping that Jaime doesn't get another ear infection between now and Dec., while we're hopeful, we're realistic, too! While I don't want to put my baby through yet another procedure, I'm just a little sad to know that Jaime may have to be so sick again before the docs do something all because of his hemophilia. :(
Anyway, moving on...Jaime's orthotics are finally ready. We're due for our fitting on Monday. At this point I'm thinking they will just aggravate him rather than help him, but only time will tell. We will also be getting Jaime fitted for a thumb brace.
New things to mention that Jaime's doing....he LOVES to dance. The other night he was dancing in "downward facing dog" position. It was HILARIOUS. He loves music, thank God! :) He says two new words..."gum" and 'cook-em" (AKA, cookie). He's always putting stuff in his mouth, when I ask him what's in his mouth he'll either say "gum" of "cook-em." I call those little Gerber puffs "cookies" that's where he got the "cook-em" from, but I don't know about the gum thing?!? It's really funny. Speaking of eating...he's still eating like a champ! I still say it's the steroids, but hey, I'll take it! He's addicted to those little puree pouches walking all around the house sucking those down! I swear that is the BEST invention...the boy loves them...well most of them anyway.
Here's a pic of Jaime "eating" The Purple One! HA!
Today was a good day other than some morning vomiting. Things seem to be moving in the right direction...at least for now. We all know that the CDH roller coaster never ends, so tomorrow may be a different story, but I'll take the "good news" when I can! I was just talking to Bev tonight about how many drs. our kids see...Jaime has a total of 13 drs., 6 at CCF, 4 in Cincy, and 3 at UH. Of course that doesn't count his home care team of therapists and nurses. That's just CRAZY, but I'm thinking pretty typical for many CDH'ers.Since this is technically our "family" blog, I'll mention a little about the rest of us. I had the pleasure of going on Jared's 2nd grade fall field trip with his class on Wednesday. We went to the Holden Arboretum, it was a beautiful day. The kids seemed to really enjoy it, too. Jared has a really nice class.
Here's a pic of Jared during his field trip holding at leaf from a magnolia tree...isn't that HUGE?
Overall, he's OK, too (medically speaking). He's had a few minor injuries at school this year, some requiring Factor, some not. Tonight, after dinner he wiped out on his bike. It was a pretty hard fall. He has "road rash" on his arm and knees and some bruises on his legs and right hand. He got banged up pretty good. His arm looks pretty bad, he's going to be really sore come morning. I made him take Tylenol (which he NEVER does) and I, of course had to give him a big dose of IV Factor. Poor kid! He's supposed to go ice skating in the morning, but he told me he didn't think he was going to be able to, :( we'll see though.As for me, I've been super busy with school. In addition to that, I have been offered and have accepted a new position. It's not like me to change jobs after just a few months, but I couldn't pass up this offer. The position is back at UH at one of their satellite hospitals (for you locals, it's at Geauga...yep, the heart of the snowbelt...should be interesting in the winter). I will be a patient care coordinator in the Bariatric Treatment Center. I'm very much looking forward to this position. I will be starting Nov. 1st, today was my last day at CCF. The other nice thing about this new job is that it's only 2 full days a week (at least for now until we build up our program there). I was working 5 1/2 days a week at CCF and trying to fit in all of the kids dr. appointments and Jaime's therapies in the morning, this way, I'll have 3 whole days off to do that. Also, this position will allow me to be home when Jared gets home, that's so important to him (and me, too!).
As for Tom, his band has been playing out alot, this weekend they are playing a benefit for victims of violence. He will also be starting Christmas Honor's Band and his holiday concerts are literally just around the corner! He's been busy and has rearranged his schedule to be home when Jared gets home while I've been working. He's also been taking care of the boys more at night while I sneak away to the library or Star Bucks to do my homework. (It's my graduation semester, I MUST do well! :)
So, that's about all for the update on us! I'm hoping for an uneventful weekend and the goal is to keep Mr. Jaime HEALTHY! If you're sick....please don't come around him! It's just about Flu season and that is the LAST thing Jaime needs (or any of us for that matter!). We will go back to being "winter" hermits again...just to protect Jaime, we're also hoping that Jaime's synagis shots will be approved again to protect him from RSV.
Happy Weekend, Everyone! :)

Congrats on the new job. You all are amazing!
ReplyDelete