Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cabin Fever?

Not here!
Can't believe I haven't posted since Monday. WOW, I'm a slacker! Lots has happened, including me starting classes again! As usual, lots of therapy has been consuming our time, not to mention visits by our home nurses.
Jaime's been working really hard on crawling...only it's in the wrong direction! HA! Also, since the therapist told us she believes that Jaime has sensory issues, we've been trying all sorts of new things from sensory books, to tastes to sensory balls to snow! YEP, SNOW! He HATED it! I've got some pretty great pics in the slide show of him!
As for feeding, I've recently started a food diary! The amount of intake this boy takes is CRAZY! About 36 ounces of high calorie formula a day, not including the food he eats. I've been experimenting more with my Baby Food Mill, I love that thing. I puree a lot of what WE eat for Jaime. I made beef stew the other day, he LOVED it! I think that's so funny because Jared didn't even want to try it! HA! He also enjoys hull less popcorn puffs which was suggested to us by EI. Yesterday, Tom made cinnamon coffee cake (no, I didn't puree it)...guess who gobbled it down? YEP! He loved it! And today, for the first time, I bought Yo-Baby yogurt...LOVED IT! You'll see in the slide show, he liked it so much that he licked the bowl! So, yes, overall, he's doing GREAT in that department! I'm really thinking that the high dose, solutab Prevacid has a lot to do with Jaime's new appetite. He's only spit up twice and both were with burps...true baby spit ups rather than vomiting! YEA! (Kind of wish we started it sooner!)
I weighed Jaime today, he's gained about 2 1/2 ounces since his GI appointment on the 19th. With all of this food, I would have thought it would have been more, but hey, at this point, I'll take ANY gain!
As for this upcoming week, we have lots of therapy, as it's a new month, Early Intervention will be here in addition to our normal therapists. We also have appointments with the Cleveland Clinic Pulmonologist and the Rainbow's nutritionist.
Time to get back to my homework! Here's a slide show of pics from the last week. Enjoy!



P.S. Don't forget to check out "Jared's World," as he, too, has a slide show of his last few days!

4 comments:

  1. Cool idea of bringing snow in the house to play with. Maybe I'll try that with the next snow fall for Emily. She HATED the Yo Baby yogurt..I tried it too, YUCK! Sounds like Jaime's making really good progress with eating..GO Jaime!!!
    I have that bathtub in my attic, I'd have sent it to you if I'd known. It's probablyy the only hand me down from Emily that's NOT pink! lol
    Always love the captions you put on the pics...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bath seat! He looks like he is enjoyng it too. Glad he is eating so well and I think it is great that he burps. Anna has only burped twice in her life.He looks so grown up sitting up all by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad things are going so well!! Sounds like Jaime LOVES to eat!! haha Kayla loves the yo-baby yogurt too!! She also loves easy mac!! :) But she isn't the little eater you got- haha nooo way !!

    Slideshow as great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Jaime loves the YoBaby....you should try the Cottage Doubles (cottage cheese with fruit). My son has "texture" issues as well and gobbles that stuff down like it is going out of style because they have such great flavor. And it is such a healthy snack option.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.