Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sitting!

Since my last post, I've been working Jaime REALLY hard. He so badly wants to be mobile...I want him to be, too...well sort of! Those of us with more than one child are all t0o familiar with what happens once the kiddos are mobile! HA!
For those of you who haven't seen my Facebook Page this week, Jaime is sitting all on his own without extending his arms to the floor for support! He can't yet get into a sitting position, but he CAN get out of it when he tires. He rolls down to his tummy. He's also crawling backwards...he's only gone forward a few times. Oh and he has mastered crawling like a crab on his back. While it's kind of cute to watch, it's soooo totally wrong. Each of his therapists have freaked out, but hey, they kid's almost 10 months old...he wants to move and will any way he can! It's going to be a hard habit to break (isn't there a song about that?), but we just continue to deal with things as they come.
Sitting up like a big boy.

Look Mom, no hands!

Best buds!
Playing Legos (A.K.A. Megblocks) together.

Oops, I'm tired, I rolled to my tummy...see my tiny cheek bruise from rolling onto a block?

Jaime's feeling better overall from his latest bout with bronchiolitis and an ear infection. In fact, we actually had him off of his O2 today (during the day), he was satting in the high 90's. His right lung is still "coarse" as stated by both his home nurse and his allergist. The left lung is more clear. Speaking of Jaime's allergist...we went yesterday to do our food challenge. Dr. T. opted not to conduct the study due to Jaime's crummy sounding lung, but we did have a long talk about future physicians for Jaime. Dr. T is a Rainbow's doctor, however, he actually referred us to a Cleveland Clinic Pulmonologist. I am going to call on Monday to get Jaime in. He also gave us a name of a GI dr. within Rainbow's system. He knows one at CCF, but said he works with the Rainbow's one more often. We are supposed to see one of the GI's partners on the 19th, but I'm going to see if we can switch attendings, per Dr. T. I'm really glad we went yesterday despite him not being able to conduct the food challenge. It's nice to be able to sit and talk to an attending so candidly.

The next topic...eating! This child has been downing bottles like nobody's business. Jaime has also been seen eating a 1/2 jar of stage 2 organic baby food 3 times a day! It's great! I just wish he'd have enough stamina to eat the whole thing. We almost always stop due to fatigue or reflux. Of course, he's continuing to throw up 2 to 3 a day! :( It's usually a "cough, choke, gag, vomit," poor guy. I can not wait for him to get rid of this stinking cough. It's been determined that he has a chronic cough...probably for a number of reasons...being intubated, reflux, aspiration, tracheal malacia...I'm sure the list can go on and on. However, his cough is exacerbated at this time due to the bronchiolitis. I'm hoping that once he's back to baseline, he'll start to keep his food down and sleep better. He's been VERY restless at night and is still getting up to eat 2 times a night.
We have a busy week ahead of us with therapy appointments...we are also trying to narrow a second home nurse down. I think we have finally found one...you'll have to stay tuned to see how things pan out!
A happy boy feeling better today!

My shirt says, "O2 Addict," not today! :)

Hanging with Jared.

Monkey see, Monkey do!

Nighty, night!


P.S. Jared has had quite the busy weekend...take a peek Jared's World to see what he's been up to!
http://jaredtrost.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Jaime, you are making awesome progress! Sitting up, crawling (in reverse!), and eating like a champ..I'm so proud of you!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.