Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 21, 2010

FLASHBACK!!!!

One year ago today, Tom and I made the absolute BEST decision of our lives....we officially chose the RCNIC (Regional Center for Newborn Intensive Care) and the CDH Team at Cincinnati Children's Medical Center to care for Jaime. We were so fortunate to find Cincinnati, we owe the World to EVERYONE who took care of Jaime down there (and who continue to care for him). I don't even want to think about what might have happened if we made different choices!
I must admit, last year still seems so surreal to me. Talking to people about what we've been through or looking back at pictures from last year, in particular tiny, Jaime on life support, makes it seem like just a story. In reality it's OUR story, I still can't wrap my brain around that. It was pretty much "fight or flight" all year. We lived each moment as it happened...we had no other choice! We know that the "ride" isn't over yet, and that's OK...just as long as we have our Jaime and he's happy and safe, WE are happy! :)

As for this weekend, seemed like we were really busy! Jared went to the dentist, then to ice skating lessons yesterday. After lessons, we had lunch with my mom and took her to the airport. Then, we stopped at the car wash and store on the way back. Jared got to play outside with Tom, while Jaime napped and I did homework.
Today, since it was nearly 40 degrees, I thought it was "safe" to take Jaime out, we went to church and brunch. It was so nice to see everyone at church today, Jaime rather enjoyed the music, glass windows and fans, there, too. Once we got home, Jared rode his bike again. He thought it was so cool to be able to ride his bike in the middle of winter! Of course, rumor has it that more snow and ice are on the way tonight! Boo! Guess that will be the end of bike riding in boots for a few weeks!

Overall, Jaime had a good weekend. He was a bit constipated and he's still experiencing some reflux, it was hard to tell how much, though. After reading the comment that "Anonymous" wrote on my last post, I decided to split up Jaime's new solutab dose of Prevacid. I was truly amazed at how well he tolerated the dissolving pill...it was like candy for him. He took both doses like a champ. I don't think he would have done that well had I mixed it with 10cc's of water! Thank you so much for the tip, it seems to be working out nicely for us! :)
Time to get back to homework! Wishing everyone a nice week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.