Today is day #17 of Jaime's illness. He's had moments where he's feeling better, but then other ones where he is completely miserable. He was up most of last night, coughing, gagging and throwing up. I feel so bad for him. I called the dr.. again yesterday morning, he said to watch Jaime over the weekend and see how he does. He also mentioned that with his compromised immune system, it's just going to take longer to get over things. It just stinks! I've been doing laundry, Clorox-ing toys and Lysol-ing my entire house for over 2 weeks now. Just did it again this morning after being thrown up on more times than I can count!
I did weigh Jaime this morning, he's still exactly 20.12, so he hasn't lost any weight, but hasn't gained any either. As you can imagine, we haven't had very good "eating" days around here. OK, so that is, until this morning. Tom made homemade banana pancakes, Jaime ate 2/3rds of a mini one. Perhaps the key is to try to get him to "eat" rather than to drink his Pediasure/Boost combo?!? The "milk" definitely makes him more junky (as one would expect it to)! We have, however, figured out, against the advice of some, that Tylenol Cold & Flu works wonders on this little man...that is IF I can get it in him and IF he doesn't throw it up!
Now on to walking...as you all know, Jaime HATES his therapeutic walker, but as with any therapy, one must do a little every day! He's been in it, even while sick. I had him in it last night, he didn't even cry. He "walked" down the sidewalk about 6 houses and came back, this, of course took over a half hour for him to do, as it is a lot of work. Many people have made comments that he's finger-walking so good and why does he need braces for his legs, he's perfect! Well, he IS perfect in our eyes...even if he's naughty (tee, hee), but he has several issues with his little legs.
Here is a video I took of Jaime in his walker last night. You can tell that his "walk" is NOT functional simply by the position of his legs, he's very clumsy with no real awareness of where his legs are, but tries hard and gets an "A" for effort in MY book! :) He has even taken a step or two unassisted when "practicing" walking back and forth to Tom and I. His biggest issue is that his legs, in general, are very weak! (He's actually managed to shred the toes of his shoes because of his foot formation.) His little legs actually quiver when he's on them too long or in the walker for a while! Frequent breaks are key!
Oh and yes, Jaime insisted on carrying that plastic boat and a piece of blue & purple chalk the whole time he was in his walker. Whatever works, right? HA!
So that's about all for an update here...I will be starting my new job on Monday and Tom and Jared will be back to school the following week...Mr. Jaime will be "watched" by his nurses and Jared's old baby-sitter! Should be interesting to see how all of this pans out!
Until next time folks...

Wow, he's doing a great job and even if only for a short time really moves out!! Sweet!
ReplyDeleteBless his little heart, I wish he felt better, so he would eat more. That coughing gags anyone, so it is exaggerated I'm sure in Jaime's case.
ReplyDeleteTylenol cold and flu always helped my grandkids. It seemed to break-up the mucous in their chests, along with helping them to rest better. Hey, whatever works I always say. Jaime looks so cute in his walker, and does pretty darn well, now that he has gotten the hang of it. He is such a sweetie, (as you already know!)
Keeping him in my prayers, that he will be over this virus really soon. God love him, he is to cute to be feeling so miserable.
Sending Hugs!
A Mom-Mom in NJ
We always found that Tylenol cough and cold works on Jolie as well. You just have to be careful with the dosing, as you know. Hang in there Jaime - hope you feel better soon!!!
ReplyDelete