Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Snap, Crackle, Pop

Thank goodness for steroids, that's all I have to say! Jaime is still congested, his voice is horse and he still has a "wet" cough, but overall, he seems to be doing better. In fact, he had both PT and OT today. We did some practice walking outside with his therapists (they were here at the same time). Jaime is so far off from "functional" walking. Our goal is to be walking by Christmas! We'll see if we hit that goal! He has a lot of issues with his walking, most of it involves his left leg, hip orientation and overall strength. He actually growled at his PT when she was forcing him up on his feet today. We're going for our AFO fitting on the 11th, we'll see how or if those will help him progress in the walking department.

Now, back to Snap, Crackle, Pop....Jaime is finally starting to get his appetite back. We caught him eating Jared's Life Cereal pieces. So, just before dinner I decided that Life was a bit much, but that Rice Krispies might be OK. He LOVED them! So, then I decided to give him a few extra calories and I made him a baby bowl of Rice Krispies with milk and a sprinkle of sugar, he gobbled it down! :) Jared also tried a bowl of Rice Krispies...with milk and sugar! I know that sounds funny, but for those of you who know Jared, you know he NEVER eats cereal with milk...he said he liked it...until it got soggy! HA!
Here are pics of my Rice Krispie Boys! :)



Now just another funny little story about the boys...Jaime is super jealous of Jared. Every time we hug Jared or if he sits on our laps, Jaime starts crying and "yelling" at him. It's hilarious...sometimes we do it just to tease him, I know, we're mean, we can't help ourselves! HA!
Oh and before I go, I have to share that Jaime is officially giving kisses! We all know what a great "hugger" he is, but now he "kisses." He'll lean in to touch your nose with his, then he giggles! OK, so it's an "Eskimo" kiss, but a kiss nonetheless! HA!
OK, that's all for now...tomorrow I go for my pre-employment screening and I'm set
to start work in just 10 days! :) That's super exciting!

Until next time, folks...

4 comments:

  1. Nice comment before mine:) HA! Carter gives Eskimo kisses too:) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must admit, when Jaime leaned over and kissed us this evening it was a real supprise. What a wonderful, a bit wet, loving moment. This wonderful little boy, who smiles in the face of pain, once again reminded us how prescious life is with a simple kiss. Thanks Sheryl and Tom for not giving-up. Our prayer is that those wet kisses keep-on coming. God Bless you and your family. Our love, Dale and Majken

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear Jaime is feeling somewhat better. Poor little guy looked so miserable in your last update. Nice to see Jaime has found a cereal he likes, (also Jared). May I make a suggestion?, I'm gonna anyway, try rice chex, they would be easier for Jaime to pick up, with his fingers, and taste about the same as rice krispies, also Jared might like them better with milk, as they don't get soggy near as fast. Just a tip from a grandmother. I would love one of Jaime's wet kisses! He is such a love! Hope he starts feeling better real soon. It is bad enough to be sick when it is cool out, but the summer makes it feel worse. God bless both boys!
    Many Hugs!
    A Mom-Mom in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily loves to give "nosies" and we love receiving them. She keeps her eyes wide open and stares right at you!
    Some day she and Jaime can give each other Eskimo (nosies) kisses! Glad he's found something he likes to eat and that it will last a few days before he gets bored again!
    Jared's right about the Rice Krispies being yucky and soggy from the milk. That's why I prefer mine mixed with melted butter and marshmallows!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.