Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, August 2, 2010

Great news...and not so great news!

Let's start with the not-so-great-news! Mr. Jaime had to make a trip to the ER last night. He started with a very low grade fever Thursday night and drooling a lot, so we thought it was just teething. Friday was the same! In fact on Friday, we went to the Akron Zoo and were among the first to ride their new Carousel that was set to open on Saturday. It was Jaime's first ride! How cool to have your first ride be on a ride that was not officially opened yet?!? Tom thought it was best to have him on a stationary animal rather than one that went up and down. Jaime seemed to rather enjoy it.

We have lots more pics from that day to post! We all had an awesome time! The weather was just perfect!
Now, before I continue on with the ER visit...let's share the GREAT news! While driving to the Akron Zoo on Friday, I received a phone call, then the call was dropped. ARGH! A moment later, the phone rang again...same girl...this is what she said, "Hi Sheryl, this is Christine, on behalf of The Cleveland Clinic, I would like to extend an offer to you for the position that you interviewed for in the Cancer Center!" WHAT? YES!!!!!! She asked me if I wanted to think about it and get back to her, after being unemployed for nearly 21 months, NO, there was no "thinking about it," I accepted the position, right then and there! I'm set to start August 16th...at least that's my orientation day. I'm not sure what my "real" start day in the office will be, but nonetheless, I'm very excited! Again, all of this happened very quickly over the phone while driving to Akron! HA! Kind of weird timing, but I'll take it! :)

Now back to Jaime...Friday night, he was fussy, but not horrible. The fever was on and off, with no other symptom. By Saturday, he was a mess. Sneezing, coughing, running nose, congestion and fever. On top of that, he was so incredibly miserable. We decided that we'd call the dr. today. Well, by last night, Jaime was getting worse. His diapers weren't as wet as we'd like them and his coughing was making him gag and throw up. So, we took him to the ER. The resident initially didn't seem overly concerned and said that Jaime has a cold! No kidding! I could have told him that! Some people just don't understand the full extent of his medical history. I would NEVER take a child to the ER for a freaking cold! ARGH! Then, the attending came in and checked him out. He has an ear infection and very swollen lymph nodes. Clearly he has an infection. So, he was put on an antibiotic with Tylenol and Motrin alternating around the clock. He is just so miserable. I've never seen him this sick before. His lungs are clear and that's really what we care most about! He smiled a smidge today, so we know that he's feeling a bit better. He's already had 3 doses of antibiotics, so they should be kicking in soon! We just want him to sleep! I think if he sleeps, he'll feel so much better! He's been very, very clinging, we can't put him down. We've literally been taking turns holding Jaime for the last 3 days. I'm sure that Tom and I will get the "crud" in no time. We've been covered in snot for 3 days now!
Anyway, that's about all....more Zoo pics to come! Oh and Jared has been taking some pics of his Lego creations, so when I get a chance, I will post them to his blog!

Until next time....

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! I know you are excited about having a position (Cancer - yuck!) I'm sorry to hear about Jamie but at least his lungs are clear so hopefully he will get over this illness before too long. Carter caught a bug a week ago and just now is getting over his sickness. He did't eat well and cried a lot last week. Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sheryl! I am so happy that you got this job! And what a blessing you will be in that environment!
    Praying for Jaime too!
    darcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Jaime feels better soon!!!! Congratulations on the new job!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.