Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Another 1st for Jaime!

Jared went first...Mom, stop with the camera already!
Then it was Jaime's turn.
Doesn't he look terrified?
Snip, snip!
No, no, don't move!
Taa-daa!
Two handsome boys with new do's!
Pictures of Jaime and I courtesy of Jared! He's becoming quite the little photographer! Jaime did really well during his hair cut, he did, however poop during it! Guess he was scared! HA!

One year ago today, I was in Cincinnati big, fat and 34 wks. pregnant!
I was in active labor all day, but the drs. managed to stop it twice, by 6:00 P.M. I was in the OR having my amniotic fluid reduced. They took 5 liters out of me (this was in addition to the 2 liters I had reduced in Cleveland). At 9:00 P.M. I stopped feeling Jaime move. I was still in the hospital on monitors. Jaime had a heart rate. After watching his heart rate jump all over the place...with a slow decrease in rhythm, the Fellow on decided to do an ultra sound. We did it for over an hour. They did a biophysical profile, Jaime was 2/8. He had no movement, no practice breathing, the only thing he "passed" was the fact that he had a heart rate and fluid. It was a terrifying moment...for ALL of us, including the drs. Dr. Brady, my attending OB down there, was called and he made the decision after 2:00 A.M. to deliver Jaime. Tom had gone back to Ronald McDonald House to get some rest, I called, woke him up and told him we were having Jaime now. I got my epidural placed, but no medication in it...we found out that there was no attending neonatologist in the hospital and Dr. Brady refused to cut me open without one. We were told that she would be in by 3:30. I called my sister who was watching Jared, by this point Tom was back at that hospital.

3:12 A.M 4-16-09 on the phone with my sister, post amnio-reduction, prepped for my c-section. Notice how much smaller my belly is compared to the first picture?
I was wheeled into the OR, for the second time in less than 12 hrs. at 3:40 A.M. (4-16-09), I got my numbing medication in my epidural, but no pain medicine, as I didn't want anything weird to happen to me and I miss seeing Jaime....looking back, no pain medication during a c-section was not smart...OUCH! Anyway, at 3:58 A.M. Jaime was delivered, whisked over to the infant bed to be resuscitated and intubated. He was placed on 100% life support, in which he would stay on for the first 41 days of his life! (Can you tell I still remember every single detail of Jaime's birth, just like it was yesterday-by the way, it was much less dramatic, but I still remember every detail of Jared's, too! Some say you forget the details and pain of labor...NOPE, not me and Jared will be 7 in June.)
I still am in awe of Jaime. He's such a miracle. I finally admitted today to a friend of mine that I honestly never thought I'd bring Jaime home. I just went with the flow and whatever happened, happened! I never thought we'd be celebrating Jaime's first birthday WITH Jaime! Sooooooo glad he's here with us! He's awesome...so much fun! Even when he's naughty, he still makes me smile because he's HERE, not to mention that he's adorable and the second cutest baby I have! :)
Happy first birthday tomorrow, Jaime! We love you, you're a true CDH Warrior!

4 comments:

  1. I CAN NOT believe he is going to be 1!!!! Jaime had so many people pulling for him (and still do.)
    A warrior, indeed.

    Happy Birthday, Jaime!!! I love the new 'do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jaime! The haircut makes him look so much more like his big brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your handsome, special boy!!!!!!! I know you all will enjoy the day! Make sure to eat some cake Jaime!!!!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I was visiting him in the hospital almost a year ago and he's already one year old! He has just grown into the cutest, sweetest little guy! Happy Birthday Jaime!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.