What a crazy day Jaime had today. It all started when one 6 yr. old went off to Sunday school without finishing his breakfast. Then, one naughty little baby found a Pop Tart.
This is yummy. (brown sugar and cinnamon)

As you can see by the pictures Jaime had LOTS of fun eating, YES, EATING the remainder of Jared's Pop Tart. I couldn't believe it! He ate very well until the one bite was too big, he started to cough and gag, he threw up too, but went right back to it. CRAZY!
Then, for dinner, Jaime ate about 2 teaspoons of pureed carrots and potatoes (from our dinner last night-still loving my Food Mill, thanks Mom T.). Not only did he eat that, he ate nearly 2 Nilla Waffers AND he washed it down with 2 1/2 ounces of WHOLE MILK from his therapy cup. WOOHOO! There were times that I had to "remind" him to chew by massaging his jaw, but overall he did AWESOME! I think he really does do better when he has control and reminders. As for the whole milk, Jaime's neonatologist said that we should start introducing it. Today was day one...he couldn't get enough of it and wanted more, but he did so well with dinner, I didn't want to push my luck. I'll give him more milk "tastes" tomorrow. Another new thing we added this weekend was Vanilla Pediasure. I bought a 6 pack (man that stuff is expensive), we have 2 1/2 left. Jaime gagged on the first few tastes, but then I mixed it with formula, gradually increasing the Pediasure with each feed. He seems to enjoy it...and I think we've discovered that Jaime now likes cool drinks. If he tolerates the Pediasure, we can wean the formula AND his daily vitamins, as Pediasure is higher calorie and has more nutritional needs. Fingers crossed that we can transition soon!
In other news, I said I would update you on the Melatonin. We're on night #3 of using it. We were able to purchase the liquid form, Jaime gets 1ml under his tongue just before bedtime. The last 3 nights, withing 15 mins. of receiving the dose, Jaime was settled and OUT! The last two nights, he's consistently woke up twice, each time being 4 1/2 hrs. apart. So, that means that he's sleeping 4 to 5 hours at a time! This is HUGE! Sooooooo hoping this trend continues and that it's not just a coincidence. We are to continue using it for a few months in hopes that it will allow Jaime to settle into a sleeping pattern of his own. Fingers crossed! :)
T-5 days until Jaime's 1st birthday! WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!
Until next time....



Loving all this exciting news! The eating and drinking is fabulous. Jaime and Emily are gonna HAVE to have a playdate so he can show her how it's done! We've been using the melatonin for a few weeks now, but was unaware of a liquid. Mike's been cutting the pills and diluting them in water. Any store in particular where it's available, or am I just missing it on the shelf? Em also falls asleep quickly, her trouble is not staying asleep, it's like she has trouble getting into a deep sleep and the least little disturbance wakes her and won't go back to sleep without one of us. ugh!
ReplyDeleteHoping Jaime's eating/drinking continues!!!
I can't believe he's almost 1!!!!! I was talking about him to someone at the gym this morning. He's just doing so well, and I have so much pride in my heart for him, and I've never met him in person. Just so thrilled at his progress, and your strength!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Stephanie
Hi Sheryl & Family,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say Happy 1st Birthday to Jaime! I just noticed that Jared shares a birthday with my oldest daughter, Jenna. She will also be 7 on 6/14. Thanks for sending the St Gerard prayers to Julia's care page! Talk to you soon.
Julianne