Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cereal!



Could it be that we have actually found something that Jaime can eat and not gag on? I think so...and it's "REAL" food.
It's...are you ready for this...Kellogg's Corn Pops. How did we discover this? God love Jared...the boy always "forgets" that Jaime can reach things. Last night, Jared was eating a bowl of Corn Pops...Jared, to this day, only eats cereal dry...he can't stand it with milk. Anyway, lo and behold he left his bowl on the ottoman-Jaime found it...spilled it all over the floor and started eating it. Who would have thought?
Guess what Jaime "ate" for dinner tonight? TWO handfuls of Corn Pops and about 10 Gerber Yogurt Melts, washed down with Vanilla Pediasure. By the way, moms with babies like Jaime...the Yogurt Melts are very tasty and they melt nicely. I did break them up for Jaime though. I believe that they are a new Gerber product as I've never seen them before. I purchased them last night at Walgreens of all places.

As for how Jaime's feeling...he's better! He was a bit tired and lethargic today, he didn't even want to practice standing and walking with his P.T. today. She thought that maybe because his ears hurt, he feels insecure and unbalanced. That's probably so. He did nap today for about 2 hours....after fighting with me for nearly 2 hours. Jaime's Help Me Grow specialist had given us a vibrating pillow to try, it seemed to work today, I will try it again tonight, if it works, I will be purchasing one for him. It is not a pillow he puts his head on, it's just placed in his crib to gently vibrate the crib.

The last thing I want to mention about Jaime is that he's becoming more vocal. He has been heard calling me "Mada" (mother?) and he's learned how to say "all done." He's even figured out how to growl, no, it's not a growl so much as a "arggg" like pirates say. Silly little monkey! Overall, he communicating very well, he responds appropriately to yes/no questions with either a "yea" and nod or an "uh-uh" and head shake. His favorite saying is "I did it." He says it all of the time, well just because he can!

Before I go, I'd like to ask that you all keep Baby Julia (R-CDH'er) and her family in your thoughts and prayers tonight. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.