Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

More Happy Birthdays....

Happy BIG 6-0 to my mom, AKA, Grammy, I heard that 60 is the new 40, what do ya think?!?! :) Also, a happy 22nd birthday to CDH SURVIVOR, Ryan Toney! :) Ryan, you have been the inspiration that has kept us going throughout this journey! Thank you! And finally, Jared reminded me that today is his "half" birthday, so Happy 6 1/2 birthday, little man! :)

Now a quick update on Jaime.
His 8 month stats....
Height: 26 Inches 24% for adjusted age
Weight: 15lbs 2oz 7% for adjusted age
Head Circumference: 17 1/2 inches 62% for adjusted age :)
BMI: 15.7 (don't ask me why they figured this out, but they did) 3% for adjusted age
Formula: Good Start, milk based! He's tolerating it well. Another day, no vomiting! :) (and he's pooping "normal" without medication assistance, too! YEA!)
Jaime, like a naughty little boy, pulled out his NG this evening. We haven't used it much, but we will probably put it back in. Get this though, Jaime was drinking 5oz bottles some with cereal in addition to eating baby food today. Tonight, at dinner, he ate more than half of a Gerber stage 2 Sweet potato/apple sauce. (That was the flavor, in one container.) I added some oatmeal and cinnamon...down it went with smiles all the way! :) I'm soooo happy we've been having some "good" feeding days! It's about time! Honestly, I think his tummy is feeling better over all from the formula change and it's making him want to eat more.
Activity: Jaime is rolling to both sides all of the time. Sometimes he's able to roll all of the way over, back to front, front to back. He's also tolerating more time on his tummy...even swivels himself around in a circle and lunges forward. He also gives high fives! Jaime tries really hard to mimic Jared, too! It's so cute to watch him. Jaime is actually getting good at mimicking all of us. If you say "pat, pat, pat" he'll pat you 3 times. He likes to play "Boom-Bah," too, probably a little too much because he automatically wants to roll over when I sit him up. How do I know he does it on purpose? Well because he giggles, then puts his head down to roll. HA! Smart little cookie! He also reaches for toys...mostly Jared's...tee, hee, "startin' already" (as my Grandma would say).
Jaime playing with Jared's helicopter.

Both boys flying their OWN air crafts.
Personality: He's a ham! He's such a joy to be around. He giggles all of the time. He says: Mama, "Aboo" for bottle, Hi...Dada on accident, "uh-uh" for no and babbles galore. He "flirts" with all of the nurses and therapists. Oh and he always laughs when Jared gets in trouble...brat! HA! He is very nosy, too. I think that's why he sleeps so crummy, he's too nosy! He needs to see what he's missing! Overall, Jaime has a great demeanor, I can't believe it, with all that he's been through, to still smile and be such a happy baby just about all of the time. He almost NEVER cries...and when I say that, I honestly mean it, he cries only a few times a week and usually it's when he wakes up hungry or doesn't want to be put down...can you say SPOILED?!? Of course he does have a bit of stranger anxiety going on and has made it very clear that he does not like a crowd! Good thing he only leaves the house for appointments and special occasions (like my Grandma's 85th yesterday.)

So, that's the update! We're all still truckin' along!

2 comments:

  1. Jaime is making great progress. Love to hear about all his tricks and new "words". Keep it up "big" boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are finally getting better!! I think I've said this before- but it sounds like they really are this time with the new formula .. seems to make him happier! :) Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.