Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 3, 2009

O2...AGAIN!

Last night, Jaime was having several apnea episodes. He's been having these on and off, but it seems like he's having them more and more during naps and at night. Last night was probably the worst night he's had. He would stop breathing and his sats would shoot down around 80%. I repositioned him several times, he seemed to stable out sometime after 2:30 A.M., needless to say, it was a long night!
Then, this morning, Jaime wasn't eating very well, he even choked and gagged on his cereal. In fact each day this week, he's been eating less and less. Jaime was supposed to have an appointment with Dr. Hellerstein for a weight check on Tuesday, but after last night and the lack of desire to eat lately, I called her office and brought him in today. We went at 12:30 P.M. today, Jaime weighed in at 14lbs, 12oz. He lost weight, just as I suspected! He did, however, grow a 1/2 inch in length, he's 26 inches now.
Anyway, he had a chest x-ray, just to humor me, really, and it was BEAUTIFUL! I have NEVER seen his lungs so clear! YEA! So, having said that, we came up with a treatment plan for his most recent issues...back on O2 for bed and feeds. She said to drop the NG again if that doesn't work, too. Well, tonight, an hour after putting Jaime on the O2, he drank an entire 30 cal bottle. Dr. Hellerstein thinks that he's just working too hard and burning too many calories, so he chooses not to eat. He tires VERY easily. Honestly, for those of you with CDH'ers, you know this is nothing new. We've heard this time and time again and just when we think Jaime's doing well, WHAM, he stops "thriving." His lungs are clear, but the right one isn't fully developed, so it's just hard for him (and the rest of the CDH kids with small lungs). He sats great during the day, and he was at night, too, we're just going to use the O2 at night for his apnea. We might put him on an apnea monitor in the future, but for now, we're going to see how the O2 works (we already put him on a pulse ox at night). He HATED it when I first put the O2 on him. Tom was laughing because I would put it in his nose and Jaime would pull it out...this went on for about 35 minutes, then he got used to it.
We'll be back to see Dr. Hellerstein on the 14th, barring any other issues.
Jaime with his O2 again.

After spending a few hours at the drs, we came home to get Jared off of the bus. He really, REALLY wanted to see Santa, so we took him to the mall. We went to the Richmond Mall, anyone who lives in town, knows this mall is like a ghost town. Santa's "house" was no different. Santa was on break until 6:00 P.M., so we were the first and only people to see Santa. They even had a Purell stand before entering...LOVED THAT! :) Here's a picture I took with my camera. I didn't dress the kids up in anything special, I didn't even know if they would have a Santa, but the pic is still cute and Jared got to ask for Legos, he even told Santa how to pack his bag so that the "big sets" could fit. UGH! (Good thing, "Santa" bought him some.)
Neither boy was scared! :)


This is Jared after seeing Santa, notice his sticker, he was being "Merry." HA!
While we're in the "Christmas Spirit," I'd like to show you pictures of the special CDH ornament I got for Jaime. It came today, thanks, Kate, it's beautiful! :)


And finally, here is a picture of Jaime in his holiday sweater outfit that Auntie Edel made him. Edel is from Germany and said that all of the babies there where things like this. I LOVE the "pants." Too, cute! :)
That's all for tonight, I'm tired and chilly! It's going down into the 20's tonight with snow flurries! Ahh, got to love Northeast Ohio! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear his lungs look clear- that is a relief! It does stink he is back on O2 at night- as I'm sure he wasn't too thrilled.

    I hope one day I can get over my own fear of people dressed up in costumes so K can go see Santa...but I doubt that will be any time soon. Maybe when she is Jared's age! ha!

    The pics are absolutely adorable! I love the sweater outfit! Christmas time is so fun - and decorative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime's ornament is beautiful. I'm sure it will have a place of honor on your tree, just like Emily's will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jaime's Christmas Outfit! So festive - and Jared is a wonderful big brother. I bet Jaime is just imagining the trouble they will get into when he is older! ;-)

    Sometimes these babes take a step back but it brings them three steps forward in something else. He will loose all his accessories soon!

    Sending thoughts and prayers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.