Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

One Year Ago Today...

I cannot believe that it's been a year since I was called into my manager's office by the CEO and HR manager to be told that they were doing cut backs and that I was being laid off. I was totally devastated, especially since I worked for University Hospitals, who would have thought? It's so weird to think that I haven't worked for an entire year! Strange how things work out....

Now as for an update on Jaime...well, we're back to the NG. (Oh and for you Cincy folks reading this, I put the NG back in all by myself when Tom wasn't even home! Those girls know that I can't stand putting that darn thing in...let me do an IV on Jared any day, but as for the NG, that's Tom's job, HA!) Jaime hasn't gained any weight in days and he's throwing up often (my poor area rug has been cleaned more times than I can count). I have been able to avoid some of his vomits with suckers (I know it's strange, but it works). Sometimes, they just aren't handy and he throws up. He gags on baby food and sometimes just his spit makes him gag and throw up! Plus when he gasps for air during his apnea episodes, it will sometimes gag him. His feeds are so frustrating anymore. His speech therapist has referred us to ENT, we have an appointment on Thursday. In addition to that, she spoke with Dr. Hellerstein about changing Jaime's formula to Good Start. Jared had really bad reflux, actually it was much worse than Jaime's, anyway after trying multiple formulas with Jared, we found that the only thing he tolerated was Good Start. Hey, it's worth a try, anyway, right?
Back to basics....O2 and NG.

Moving on...I also discovered that Jaime is having an allergic reaction to the flavoring in his medication. He's had a few doses of it and with each one, I've been wondering if his face was swelling or if it was just me. Well, since the NG is back in, I put the medicine directly through his tube, sure enough, he immediately turned red and swelled! UGH! I called the pharmacy and the pharmacist was going to see if Anthem would pay their portion for us to get a new bottle without flavoring, if approved I would still have to pay my copay of $70. :( It's worth it if it makes him feel better, though.

On to more "fun" things...yesterday, Jared and Jaime received gifts in the mail from Aunt Janet. Sorry, Janet, they really wanted to open them, so I took photos! Thank you sooooo much! I can't wait for them to wear their outfits!
Here are the pics....


We are wondering if this is what Christmas will be like!


And lastly, who needs baby toys when you have a big brother?!? HA!


Just kidding, I need baby toys! These are a few of my FAVORITE things!
Oh, before I go, I wanted to pass along two "feeding" websites that Jaime's SP shared with me for any other CDH parent that's at their wits end with feeding issues.
1) www.new-vis.com
2) www.reflux.org
Hope some of the information helps all of us in some small way! :)

Time to go...stay warm, it's a chilly one!

3 comments:

  1. loved the post....hate the NG and o2! But if they help him, then i guess i love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for putting that NG in all by yourself. At least you found out that it was the medicine and your fine friends at Walgreens are going to try to help you at with your co pay. Here's hoping that the boys have a better day today. Take care. Call if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to tell you about switching formula to Good Start but wasn't sure about giving any kind of advice since I am not an expert. Our kids doc had recommend Good Start to all his patients including my kids. Hopefully, the new formula will solve Jamie's eating issue. Anyhow, love and enjoy all your pictures and updates on the boys.

    Love,
    Dai

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.