I won't go through all of the gory details of this year, we all know what they were, I'll just say that we've been through more this year than any one person should have to go through in a lifetime. And when I say "we" I mean all four of us! Jaime has been such a trooper and to still smile in the midst of all of this just amazes me! Jared has had his issues dealing with all of this and I'm hoping that we're finally on the "up" with him...and Tom and I, well, we've just sort of rolled with the punches! We were talking about this year earlier today, we know that many people doubted us didn’t agree with our decision, but honestly, we have absolutely no regrets for making the decision to relocate down to Cincinnati to give Jaime a chance at life...and a good one at that! He is no doubt a lot of work, but so worth every minute!
This whole experience has changed me a lot. I've learned what it's like to appreciate the little things in life; I've also learned to expect nothing. My advice to those expecting CDH babies or sitting in the NICU with one right now would be those two things! Embrace the really good moments and expect nothing in return, this way when the roller coaster goes down...and it will, you are not disappointed! You will know that you've chosen the best medical team to care for your little one and there's nothing more you, as a parent can do except sit by your baby's side and hold their hand! “Expect nothing” is the motto I’ve lived by throughout this whole year! That’s my secret to always being positive…OK that and seeing my little boy smile everyday! (Thank you to God and the CDH Team in Cincinnati for that!) ;)
I've also learned to give up control, I can't control anyone or anything except my own actions, therefore, I've stopped trying...don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but nonetheless, it's another lesson learned. I've learned not to let pettiness get me down, there are much greater things to occupy my mind and time with! I've learned to be a bit selfish and to stick up for my boys, no matter what the cost! I've also learned how to start an IV and place an NG! Two things mothers should NEVER have to learn how to do.
And I think I can speak for Tom when I say that we've both learned what it's like to be part of an awesome, caring community. To think that we were "Welcomed Home" from our 4 1/2 months in Cincinnati to THREE fundraisers for our family, how amazing is that? Not to mention all of the countless number of people (family, friends and strangers) who made a point to brighten our holidays and make them special for both of our boys. Thank you!
We’d like to dedicate this post to our CDH Family; I honestly don’t know what we would have done without all of you. It’s your constant words of inspiration that have kept us going this year. I love knowing that we’re not alone in this crazy journey through CDH World. Our family and friends have been very supportive, but they don’t know, nor can truly appreciate the exhausting roller coaster that we have been on this past year. It’s one thing to be a third person looking in and another to have physically and emotionally gone through it. Again, we will forever be thankful for each and every one of you, especially to The Adler’s-whom we met online nearly a year ago and spent countless hours/days/weeks/months with in the NICU, as Carter began the fight of his life 11 days after Jaime was born; to The Luken’s and The Toney’s for stepping up and embracing our family as part of their own-you will forever be our “Family in Cincy;” and to Breath of Hope and Cherubs for connecting us with many of you! (Thank you, Elizabeth and Dawn!) You and all of your children will always hold a special place in our hearts!
Thank you all for continuing to show your love and support for our family and for checking in on our blog and leaving comments daily! Wishing you all a happy and most importantly a HEALTHY new year! Here’s to 2010!

And Thank you for sharing your amazing family!
ReplyDeleteI too learned not to try to control anything or anyone I couldn't truly control. Expecting nothing - guess what - you are absolutely surprised by what you get!
With thoughts and prayers - always,
Elizabeth
:)
ReplyDeleteHappy Twenty-Ten!
Miss you people up there:)
Carter says hi.