Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Busy, Busy

First, we'd like to Welcome Home, our Cincy CDH Buddy, Carter Trace Adler! Carter was discharged, after 211 days in the NICU on Monday! We are so happy for Carrie and Jeremy. It's been a very long, tough, winding road, but they are finally home together as a family of 3 (4 counting their pup, Jackson), just in time to celebrate their first family holiday together! Welcome home, little guy (and Carrie, too-the Adler's relocated to Kentucky from Indiana for Carter to be cared for at Cincy Children's)! Don't give Mommy and Daddy, too much trouble, Carter! ;) Can't wait for the boys to officially meet on the "outside." Happy Holidays, Adler Family! :)


Jaime on the way to the drs. His first "outing" since he was discharged from the NICU...again.

We've been very busy the last few days. Monday, I spent the day trying to clean and organize my house. It's hard being away for so long and since Jared was at school, I figured I'd try to get a few things done. Then, on Tuesday, Jaime went to see Dr. Hellerstein.
Jaime is 14lbs 13oz...just as he was on our home scale, that means he did indeed gain 7oz since being home. Dr. Hellerstein seemed pleased with that, but she has also requested weekly weight checks since the NG is still out. She wants to make sure he's continuously gaining and not plateauing. Since Marcia (SP) will be working with Jaime's feeds, she will be the one weighing him and we will have to go in to Dr. Hellerstein's office every other week.
Speaking of feeds...Jaime is drinking his bottles great, but he's not eating very well these days. We're not sure why. However, we have a hunch that his reflux is a huge issue these days. It's much worse than it was after the first surgery, plus his gag reflex is very strong. He'll cough, gag himself and throw up. Or, he'll put his fingers or teether a little too far in his mouth...same thing happens. It's very strange. I'm hoping Marcia can assist us with this issue. We called Cincy and they upped his Prevacid dose, so we're helping that, too will help!
Other than those things, Jaime's doing very well. After his appointment yesterday, we stopped by Auntie Edel's house. Edel lives on the same street as Dr. Hellerstein's office. She was very happy to see Jaime and I, likewise! She made Jaime an adorable sweater outfit for Christmas.


Since we were out...I thought I would stop by to visit my Grandma, too. With me being in Cincinnati and her being in the hospital, it's been a very long time since we've seen each other. She tried really hard to enjoy visiting with us, though I know she was very tired and not feeling well. (It's not the best picture, but it's the only one we've got, my Grandma's nurse took it.) Please keep her in your prayers! Thanks!

After that visit, we were home again. That was a huge outing, we NEVER take Jaime out like that, but how could I not visit with Edel and my Grandma? Jaime has literally been in the house since we've been back from Cincy until Tuesday. Tom and I take turns running errands or taking Jared places. Tonight, Nana and I took Jared to his swim lessons. Here's a funny photo of Jared at the pool tonight.

One new thing that happened tonight is that Jaime has FINALLY moved into a big boy crib. I suppose at 7 1/2 months old, it was time to put Jared's old crib up. Not to mention that little stinker would "scooch" himself down in the bassinet and flop his feet up over the edge so that I could tickle them. Here are some pics of one little boy in one big bed!

Looking at his (Jared's old) "fish tank."

10 minutes later....


As for the Thanksgiving holiday, both mine and Tom's parents came to Cleveland. We'll be having dinner with Tom's parents and then my parents, brother and his family will be coming for dessert tomorrow evening. Titi will be leaving for Thailand tomorrow! Bon Voyage, Titi wishing you and Kim a safe, fun filled, relaxing trip, we'll miss ya...bring us back something neat! ;-)

Here is a picture of what I'm thankful for (taken just this evening)!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Thank you all for your continued support, love and prayers!
(Gobble, Gobble)

4 comments:

  1. He looks so big in those pictures. The boys look like they are all feeling better.That is good news. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and take care of yourselves. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime looks like a whole new kid. Amazing what having your organs in place will do for a person! Seriously, I'm so happy for your family, to be together again just in time for Thanksgiving, and together with all members "healthy". Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First- Happy Thanksgiving!
    Now- I'm so happy he is gaining- he honestly looks fantastic.. he has a double chin! :) And I know it's frustrating when they eat one day, and the next they want nothing to do with it. K does it to me ALL the time. She will always take her bottle- but the spoon is a different deal. I also NEVER know how much she'll take from the bottle. It's between 3-7 oz! That could be a lot of formula wasted! jeez-a-loo!

    I'm glad you got to go visit your aunt and grandma. We will continue to pray for your grandma!!

    Sounds like you have a lot of family for the holiday- I'm so jealous. I hope you enjoy!!

    Glad all seems well!! Keep it up! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too kind. Best of holidays to you three too!!! This has been a long time coming for all of us, hopefully we will ALL have an uneventful holiday. You know...I still hope for boring...you? HA!

    At any rate, Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for thinking of us:) Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.