
Wahhhh, wahhhh, wahhhhh, followed by high pitch screeching screams, followed by crazy horse like sounds or growls! Yep, today was another "fun" day in the NICU. :(
After several hours of "fussiness" along with diarrhea and fighting sleep, it has been determined that Jaime may actually be showing signs of withdrawal from his Morphine and Versed. Tonight, he was given Ativan just to "calm down" which then in turn allowed him to sleep. As of 1:00 A.M. ish, he was STILL sleeping! Way to go, Jaime! :)
Jaime had an NG placed with 5mls of milk running an hour. He was allowed to drink 3 bottles of 5mls, too. He only drank 1 because he drank it so poorly. He was choking and gagging on it. A little while later he threw up and had diarrhea. The jury is still out as to what's really going on with Jaime....feeding-wise. Everyone thinks it's just too soon post-op to tell. They keep reminding me that Jaime's surgery was really bad and his bowels were manipulated so much that it may just simply take more time for Jaime's body to adjust to his new "normal." I agree with this, so the new plan is to go up S-L-O-W-L-Y with his feeds. (Of course, this could change tomorrow.)
In other news, Jaime is back down to a 1/2 liter O2...doing fine with that...except when he eats...which is pretty normal, he always had a problem eating and breathing...by the way, this, too will be addressed during our NICU stay. I talked with the NP, she said that Jaime's outpatient high risk dr. has decided to start over with Jaime, meaning that today for instance is day one! He will be reassessed to determine what his "new" medical needs will be upon discharge.
Jared and Tom are doing well. Jared told me that he had snow on the playground at school, Tom didn't know what that was all about. It is November and we do live in the snowbelt, I suppose it's possible? It's officially been 25 days since I've seen my little Jared. Again, the hardest part about being in Cincy, is not being able to see Jared...or do homework with him, or go to his ice skating and swim lessons. By the way, tomorrow, he starts the next level of ice skating! I'm so proud of him, he just loves it and is doing very well. (At least that's what his coach says). Tom's going to try and come down next weekend. I hope he comes! I'd like to say that we'll be going home next week...there actually was some talk of it, but I think this feeding thing may keep us here a little while longer. I don't mind being here so much as I mind not seeing Jared and Tom. It will be great to see them next weekend!
That's all for now, it's been quite a day, I have such a headache (can't imagine why-wahhh, wahhh, wahhh) I'm just ready to start over tomorrow, hoping that I walk into a "happy" baby instead of a growling, screeching, horse! HA!

Good night...happy weekend! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.