Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Miserable Day!



Jaime was so incredibly miserable today, all day! He had to have his picc line dressing changed not once, but twice, his steri-strips wouldn't stay in place over his incision and one area bled, he had his Morphine and Versed cut AGAIN (2nd time in 24hrs), his penis is still raw, he pooped a few times(which must have hurt so bad) he's coughing and gagging like crazy...along with choking on all of his secretions, not to mention that lovely 7 mos. old thing called teething.



I have never seen Jaime so unhappy and cry as much as he did today. The sad thing is, his throat is still raw and raspy from being intubated, that he can hardly cry. I feel so bad for him! I asked his nurse if she could get a standing order for PRN (as needed) Tylenol. She was able to get one for him...once he got that and some Orajel, he was comfy and napped for a bit...in the swing, of course!



Later in the day, he was back to being miserable...that is until Liz and I bathed him and put his pjs on. While we were cleaning up from his bath, he fell asleep. He was so calm and peaceful with his Pooh "ni-ni."



That lasted for a while until his monitor went off because he had a brady episode. Soon he was up, back to being miserable. Then, he pooped...again...I changed him and this is what I got....is that a glimpse of my "old" baby? Is my little Jaime back again?!?



There was more fussing and lots of finger chewing.



I asked Liz to give Jaime his Tylenol and I put Orajel on his teeth and gums...they are all so incredibly swollen. It feels like he has 4 teeth coming in...none in the front, all on the sides. I think that's where he's chomping the most! After the Tylenol and Orajel, I captured this....



Yep, we've got our "old" Jaime back for sure! :-) Now, he's fighting to sleep...sounds about right! While I hated to see Jaime have such a miserable day, I'm thrilled to see him acting somewhat "normal" again by this evening!

Little medical update: He's still on TPN's and Lipids, along with Protonix, Versed, Morphine and Factor only once a day. He still has his repogle in, but it's completely clear...only his secretions are going in to it...that will be dc'd in the morning. Since he pooped multiple times today, I'm thinking that they may start feeds tomorrow at 2mls an hour via NG. Finally, he's still on his 6 liters high flow because his right lung is still collapsed. They are thinking about putting him to 5 liters tomorrow once they get another chest x-ray and see some improvement!

Here's hoping for an even better tomorrow!!!!


P.S. Jared is feeling better...still a bit congested, but his fever has finally broke and he's been on antibiotics for over 24 hrs...looks like he'll be going to school tomorrow! I think he's having too much fun at home playing Legos anyway! Tom sent me this photo via cell phone, but you get the idea!

4 comments:

  1. A bath, jammies, Tylenol, a nap, and a full diaper, what else could a baby want?
    Super cute grins!!
    So glad his bowels are working, now for his "front" to heal. I hope the flow wean and feeds go well tomorrow.
    Jared looks like he's feeling much better. I can tell by the amount of Lego's on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad he's getting back to himself. I love to see him smile, as I'm sure you do too.

    The sedation weans are the worst. At least he pooped, right?

    I hope you guys have a good day today.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it was such a miserable day but I bet you felt great once you realized your Jaime was back! :) (my kid fights this sleep deal too)

    Glad to hear the bowels are working- several times over! haha :)

    Praying for a better chest x-ray!! Go right lung!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little guy! He is going through so much but he still manages to give you such a sweet smile.. what a cutie!! Continued prayers for Jaime and your family! Jaime and you need a much deserved break!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.