
Jaime had another new nurse today. So, when he first woke up, I heard that he was very crabby, then he warmed up to her, probably because she got to pull out his repogle. He is definitely showing signs of stranger anxiety, especially when he has SOOOOO many people in and out of his room and taking care of him.
Once he was comfortable, Angela from PT came in to work him hard! Then, Noelle from OT came in. He was pretty happy most of the day. When I came in this morning, Jaime was on 6 liters high flow O2, when I left he was on 3 liters with talk of going to 2 liters by morning. Talk about a FAST wean! Jaime tolerated this very well. He was satting between 95%-100% all day. The high flow wean didn't phase him one bit! Since that repogle got taken out, Jaime hardly even coughed. Maybe a handful of times...yesterday he spent the entire day coughing and gagging. There was talk of weaning his Morphine and Versed, but Amy and I were against that because Jaime may or may not be showing signs of withdrawal. We figured we'd just do the O2 wean and then do the others tomorrow.
Speaking of the O2 wean...once down to 2 liters high flow, Jaime can be flipped to a regular nasal cannula like he had before and he can have a bottle! The drs. are very hesitant to drop the NG at this point. Earlier today I was really worried about having Jaime try to suck from a bottle because he hasn't in so long and seemed to be showing signs of oral aversion. I left during Jaime's afternoon nap to get him slow flow nipples for his bottles that we use at home. I figured it would be the most comfortable and familiar to him. By tonight, my worry about Jaime being able to bottle feed has gone by the wayside. Jaime cried from 5:50 P.M. until 11:30 P.M. with minimal breaks. I couldn't get him comfy to save my life. Watching his behavior tonight, I knew that he had finally realized that he was hungry. That boy is REALLY good about giving us cues. I asked the Fellow on if we could turn his high flow down tonight to 2 liters and feed him a little bit of a bottle...I got a big fat...NO! How FRUSTRATING! I had to change his bedding twice because he worked himself up into a sweaty little mess, this of course after his bath! So, I spent the night patting Jaime's bottom until he wore himself down and fell asleep.
I finally got back to RMH just before midnight. It's a bit chilly here and I'm not feeling all that great, I have a sinus infection and feel like my head may explode. I am taking antibiotics that were called in to a Cincy pharmacy by my PCP. Tonight, I had a little bit of heaven...I came out of the cold into RMH to find a bowl of homemade vegetable soup in my refrigerator space. So, my midnight snack...AKA, Dinner was a delicious, HOT bowl of veggie soup! Mmmmm.....thank you, Jeanie! :-) Last week, Jeanie made me potato soup...YUMMY! See, Mom, my friends are taking care of me here! :)
In other news from up north...Jared went back to school today. He was really tired when he came home, though. I heard that he spent the evening wrapped up in a blanket. Also, my poor Grandma...she was readmitted into the hospital. She is having lots of problems, including the inability to care for herself at this time. No one really knows if she's weak from the cancer or medication or just simply has something else going on. Regardless, she's in the hospital and hopefully we'll have some answers soon. It's hard to be here and not be able to be up there for her...so all I can do is call her, it's so sad to talk to her because she's just not herself.

I think I'm going to go call Lisa to make sure Jaime is still sleeping. Poor, hungry little boy. Keep your fingers crossed that he'll be able to tolerate his feeds tomorrow! :) There have been some whispers of discharge, but nothing is set in stone yet!
Good night!

His little eyes are so puffy. Glad he finally settled down, so that you both can get some rest. You know that four-lettered word, once you become a mom, you never get enough of. Hopefully, they will feed Jaime today and you can begin your journey towards HOME!Good luck with everything. Keep me posted.
ReplyDeleteSheryl,
ReplyDeleteIt is so awesome to see his smile again! I am glad to hear of his steady improvement and will keep praying for his continued progress.
~Beth
I'm so glad things are FINALLY getting back to normalish! :) The weaning sounds great!! I really hope he will want his food today- by the sounds of your issues with him and being angry yesterday it seems as tho the nipple won't bother him as long as he gets his food! Hungry boy! :) Good luck with that today!!
ReplyDeleteWe are praying all get healthy fast - Jaime, you, Jared and Grandma!!
How frustrating, a baby who wants to eat but not allowed to! When he finally gets his bottle today he'll probably chug it like a college student..ha! Great news that he tolerated yesterdays wean and going down to reg flow cannula today. It just shows what great progress Jaime is making. Now if only his mom could get healthy!
ReplyDeleteI am sooooo glad to hear how much better he is doing! I hope that you and Jared start feeling better soon as well! I will continue to pray that the next update says he is able to eat and keep coming down on the O's!! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteCarrie and Noah
I LOVE the picture, so nice to see Jaime smiling again and hearing that he is doing better!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you enjoyed the soup, I hope it made you feel a little better!
If only I could make that one Italian dish you LOVE, oh that's right, you were supposed to make it for us ;-)!
Joking aside, we are so happy to hear of Jaime's progress, he is so special to us!
So glad to hear J-Rod is feeling better.
I will keep your Grandma in my prayers as well!