Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Experiment

So, I did a little feeding experiment today...I noticed that Jaime is more apt to drink his bottles and finish them if they are warm. I gave him a very warm bottle last night before midnight, he sucked it down, didn't even take his usual breaks. When he woke up this morning, I gave him a "cool" bottle...he didn't want it, he took many breaks...that is until I made it warmer. Sure enough, he sucked it down. I did the same thing with his food...ate it all up when it was warm, but wasn't too interested when it was room temperature. Now, I'm wondering if that is why he drank so crappy in the hospital, we never could get those bottles warm enough no matter how hard we tried.
Tom went to urgent care this morning...at his own will, so you know he felt really lousy. They did a throat culture, yep, Tom has strep, had it this whole time. Part of me is soooooo relieved that it's not the swine flu! He's on an antibiotic, he's had a full day of them and by this evening, he's actually feeling a bit better. Strep responds so quickly to antibiotics. He's hoping that by morning, he'll be in good shape for school, at least we all know he won't be contagious because he'll be on antibiotics for over 24 hours (he went to urgent care REALLY early)! Oh and for the record, Jared was feeling much better today, too! Don't know what he had, but it came and went quickly, thank goodness!
Anyway, back to Jaime...while Tom was at Walgreens waiting for his prescriptions, I asked him to pick up one of those water filters for the faucet. I figure instead of making a pitcher of formula and refrigerating it, I will make every bottle individually, this way they will always be warm (and with purified water, too). Jaime drank 100% of his bottles, and ate peas (didn't love them today), oatmeal and pears. He only spit up once after a burp...it was normal baby spit up. :)
Oh and I weighed Jaime naked today, he was 14lbs 13 oz. So, he has gained 6 ounces since we've been home at least according to my scale. Jaime sees Dr. Hellerstein on Tuesday. I can't wait for her to see him, he's such a different boy than the last time she saw him. She actually called me before we were discharged on Wednesday. She was in Kansas on a family vacation and was thinking of us. I thought that was too funny!
Well, I'm off to put Jaime in his bed, he's currently "stirring" on his boppy.
Enjoy the pics and have a nice night!

Jaime was trying to put his leg up like Jared, this went on for a half an hour this morning, it was hilarious. Both boys were laughing, Jaime couldn't do it!

Jaime's new teether?!?

Jaime playing with his toys while Jared and I played Legos.

Show us your tummy! (Jared and I taught Jaime this trick)

Two bathed boys ready for bed! Nighty, Night!

4 comments:

  1. Jaime and Jared are so cute! You can tell that they have special bond.They are so blessed to have one another. and you are super blessed to be their momma ;-)

    Amber

    Hope Tom feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie is very fussy with a cool bottle too! I have tried several times just to give it to her room temperature, but she won't drink it so I always end up going back and warming it anyway. Hope everyone is getting back to normal and y'all have a great week!
    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, sure sounds like my boy too. He likes it really warm...has to be perfect or else. I am so happy to hear Jaime is doing well. Love all the the pictures. Have a great week!

    Love,
    dai

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.