Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back to Room 5506.

Room 5506 is the turtle room on the 5th floor of Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital. It's a room we've grown to love. It is where Jaime has spent 3 of his last 4 admits at Rainbows. Yes, Jaime was admitted to Rainbow's again. This actually happened yesterday afternoon, but with my Grandma's passing yesterday morning, I felt it best to keep it under-wraps...at least until today.
So, why are we here you ask? Good question...well, it all started when I took Jaime to his ROUTINE visit with the pulmonologist yesterday morning. The problem was, Jaime had a nasty cough. I knew that it wasn't a good idea to go with a cough, but it took me nearly 4 weeks to get in, I wanted someone to address his apnea issues. So, we went, we talked about his apnea...he started coughing, the dr. listened to his lungs...the right one was "crackly." Of course it was! That warranted a direct admit to Rainbow's. ARGH!
Since we've been here, Jaime has had a chest x-ray (that didn't look bad), a respiratory panel taken...in which case it was NEGATIVE-I told the drs. it would be; he's had an echo cardiogram that looked pretty good, he had PT and SP, as well as, a nutrition consult and is currently hooked up to the sleep study machines.


Tomorrow he is due for yet another barium swallow and possibly an MRI. Did you get all of that...WHEW! He still has his nasty cough, in fact, I think it's worse today, but he's drinking better than he was yesterday. He's also been dancing around a fever...low grade, but nonetheless, a fever and he has a red left ear. I have been teasing the nurses that Jaime is admitted for teething. I honestly believe that 75% of his problem is his teeth. He has bumps in his mouth...looks like at least 2 more are on the way. He's got extra secretions and doesn't know what to do with them, so he's coughing, choking, gagging and vomiting...again, MY theory not the drs. They were convinced he had RSV...I'm happy to say that that is NOT the case! :)
It's funny how on Jaime's 3 previous admits, the drs. UNDER reacted and this time they are OVER reacting. Jaime's fine...just coughing and crabby...REALLY CRABBY! I mean, crying miserable, crabby...unlike I've ever seen him before.
On the plus side, we have had the pleasure of having a few of our FAVORITE Rainbow nurses. That's been really great! It's nice to have people who know Jaime...and us, too. It's also nice that we found out the drs. were made fully aware of their mistake back in the fall and are CLEARLY trying to make up for it this trip. Let's put it this way, it literally takes WEEKS, sometimes MONTHS to get a sleep study...an appointment slot just so happened to open up tonight...hmmmm....it wasn't open this morning. They've been listening to me more, though they aren't accepting my teething theory...eh, such is life!

All is well on the homefront. Titi is taking care of things with Jared while I'm up at the hospital and Tom's at work. Titi even got a call from Jared's school nurse today...Jared ate a cupcake and started getting itchy from the eggs in it. She had to take medication up to Jared. Thanks, Titi for playing Ms. Mom today!
My mom and extended family are coping with my Grandma's passing. They spent yesterday and probably some of today planning my Grandma's final arrangements. Here is a link to her obituary if you're interested.
http://news-herald.com/articles/2010/01/28/obituaries/nh2009890.txt
We are all hanging in there, we miss my Grandma and it's very sad that she's gone, but I think we can all take comfort in the fact that she is at peace and no longer suffering!

I'm off, I'm going to attempt to get some Zzzz's. It will be hard, I am in a room with 4 cameras and an open microphone. They can hear and see me just as much as they can see Jaime! It's going to be an interesting night...I just hope I can rest with an audience, I'm whipped!

Good night, all!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear Jaime is in the hospital! Although you are the Jaime expert, so I am sure your mom's intuition that it is nothing serious is correct! I hope you all are out of there soon and the sleep study goes well!! Thinking of you guys!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw!! Can this kid catch a break?! Jeeeez!! But Jennifer is right, you are the Jaime expert... so I'm sure all is well. I'm glad the docs are taking this more serious tho as the first time around.. well you know! ha! But sleeping in a room full of cameras... creepy! I know they have to do it for Jaime, but it would make me very uneasy! ha! I hope all goes well and Jaime and you get to go home SOOOOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully doctors will find root cause and will fix Jamie's apnea issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hospital again! I know how frustrating that is! Sorry Jamie is back at Rainbows but it doesn't sound too serious - hopefully, they will figure out the sleep/apnea issues. Let us know the outcome. Also, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother - I know how close you guys were.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.