Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

R.I.P. Grandma

At 85 years young....and after putting up one hell of a fight, it is with great sadness that I share the news about my Grandma, Sylvia Mocarski, losing her battle with cancer today. She passed away late this morning with her girls and other family members by her side.

It has been an absolute honor to have had all of my grandparents for so long! My Grandma M. was the last of the four to pass. My sister and I were just saying how lucky we were to be able to grow up with our grandparents...it's not everyday you meet someone in their late 30's, early 40's with living grandparents. My Grandma had 2 daughters, 7 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren! She loved each and every one of us! We have such awesome memories of her that we will forever cherish!

I'd like to take a minute to share some of those memories with you. When I was really little, I used to sit in my Grandparent's living room for HOURS playing with the old wooden Fisher Price Little People. My Grandma would go out of her way to find more pieces to add to her set. To this day, I have all of the old stuff, in fact, Jared plays with my old toys from my Grandma now.
Also, when we were young, my grandparents had a pool...we had cook-outs and went swimming there every weekend in the summer. My Grandma always wore one of those funny swim caps with big...and I mean BIG rubber flowers hanging off of it! My grandparents had the BEST play yard EVER! They had 2 swing sets one was a giant jungle gym, a teeter totter and all of the ride-on toys and outdoor games you can imagine! Those cook-outs always ended with yummy Ice Cream Bars or root beer floats. Mmmmm......
Beer...that brings me to my next memory of Gram. She liked her beer! Even on her deathbed, she requested a beer! My cousin brought her one, too! How cool is that? Another love she had was ice skating. You couldn't call her when she was watching her ice skating (or her "murder pictures" for that matter). She's so happy that Jared ice skates, I am, too!

My Grandparents spent many weekends at our house playing what they called "Poker." We ate lots of chips and dip those nights...my Grandma always remembered us kids and brought us Colorforms (do they even still make those?!?) or some sort of coloring books or small toy. Speaking of buying us things...my Grandma worked at Lerner's. (It's called New York Co. now.) Can you say 50% off employee discount?!? My Grandma supplied our school clothes for YEARS! That was awesome! Oh and I can't mention clothes without sharing with you what my Grandma's FAVORITE outfits were...anything and everything PURPLE! Purple rings, necklaces, bracelets, pants, shirts, purses...ahhhh, the list goes on and on!

After my Grandpa passed in 2001, my Grandma got herself very involved with "the Center," as in the Senior Centers. She would take "Laketran" (a community bus) to "The Center" to do her line dancing and singing. She'd walk to the Wickliffe Senior Center (this one is in my city) every Wednesday to play Bocce Ball. She was quite the active gal! Her social life was more filled than any of her Grandchildren's....LOL!
She stayed up late every night, she even went to a few of Tom's gigs with me and we'd dance the nights away at the bar (pre-kids, of course)! What Grandma does that? MINE! :) Speaking of being up late, she'd be the one to call you before midnight just to chat! It was pretty great! I'm going to miss those late night calls! My Grandma was one spunky lady to the end! Here are some pics I pulled from the files on my computer of my Grandma over the last few years!
Santa or Grandma...you be the judge! (2007)

New Year's Day, 2008.

Jared's 5th Birthday Party...Mom, Dad, Grandma, Jess and Sophia.

Grandma and Jared at Safety Town by the Laketran sign.

Trost Family Benefit Dinner at Church, August 2009.

Grandma's 85th Birthday 12/13/09.

Merry Christmas, 2009! (Grandma in her purple)

The last picture of us, 1/10/10, just 17 days ago.

Rest in Peace, Grandma (A.K.A. "Me-Mo" (that's what I used to call her) or "Whistle" Grandma, as Jared calls her, she never could whistle, but he always thought it was funny to see her try.)...tell Grandpa (and my Grandma and Grandpa Buttari) that we miss them and love them. Together watch over my boys and keep them safe! Thanks for the good times and GREAT memories! You will forever be in our hearts, we love you!

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss! I am so glad you shared your memories though. I think that helps! Sounds like you had a very cool grandma! And you are right, you are lucky to have had your grandparents for so long. I have two left, and I feel very lucky as well!! And I have to say, I agree with your grandma, purple is the best !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest condalances for your loss! I am sure she so happy to meet Jaime and spend time with him. You have wonderful memories of her and you will be able to share them with your boys! My thoughts are with your famiy!
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to you Grandmother - and a precious gift for your family in years to come!

    Laketran (the community bus service) appreciates that we were able to be a vital part of your grandmother's life - allowing her to live at home and actively engage in her community.

    These are the stories that need to be told - of lives filled with family, love and support from community members and agencies. Thank you for sharing these cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss! Your Grandma sounded like such a fun and loving woman! Many prayers for peace!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandma has been the kinda of person I want to be. Both my grandpa's died before I was born, one grandma (Oma) died when I was 5 or 6. My other grandma passed away when I was in highschool, I believe she was 91. She lived with us, but it's sad to say she wasn't much of a grandmother. She was mean. My parents are in their 80's and my in law their 60's. My three kids won't get the experience of having grandparents around much into adulthood. I plan on being that fun grandma like you had. Your whole family has been blessed to have had such a fun loving person in your lives. Thank you for sharing these memories with us! May she rest in peace...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheryl,
    I feel you loss. My grandmother died on December 11, at the age of 90. I miss her so much! She was an awesome grandma too. I am so glad that she got to meet my children and I know that you feel the same about yours.
    Hugs,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.