Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, October 23, 2009

Excitement in Wickliffe

First off, Jaime is fine...he had a good day. Didn't sleep, but all of 15 minutes this afternoon...and that was after PT, apple sauce, OT, and a bottle.
He did apparently throw up all over his first shift nurse. Jaime has a few types of throw ups...reflux, coughing/gagging and aspirating. This was a reflux vomit. EWEEE! I came in just after everything was said and done! Timing is everything!
Jaime managed to gain 15 grams again, he's still under his admit weight, but trying really hard to get caught back up. I did ask the drs. in rounds today to take Jaime back down to 28 cal formula, I feel like 28 cal is too much, let alone trying to push the envelope and go up to 30cal. They agreed, he seemed to tolerate things much better today. Hopefully, Jaime will continue on this slow and steady climb in weight!
His cough is WAYYYYY better than it has been. In fact, I bathed him, changed him, fed him and put him to bed around 9:00 P.M.-ish! I was up there again until after 12:30 A.M. I was basically waiting to see if 1) he'd wake up and 2) who his nurse was. Most of Jaime's nurses from his first admit are now primary nurses on other babies which means Jaime has had different nurses just about every single shift since he's been there. It's kind of annoying, as the nurses who have been taking care of him aren't even RCNIC nurses...most are float nurses or PICU nurses. I wish he could just get one primary nurse, especially since he's having surgery on Monday. It would be nice to have some continuity of care post-op!
Anyway, by 12:30 A.M. I found his nurse and he was still asleep, so I came back to RMH. I'm doing laundry. Surprising no one seems to be doing laundry at 1:30 A.M. on a Friday night....HA!

Here are some pics from today....

Jaime and Liz (OT), the significance of this pic is that Jaime reached for Elmo using his right hand, he almost never uses his right side.

One sleepy boy pulling his hair after OT. :-)

Peek-a-boo with Elmo.

Chewing on Elmo....chomp, chomp, Mmm.

Cuddling with Mommy.


Now on to the excitement in Wickliffe...my mom called me nice and early this morning to tell me that Jared had a bloody nose. He's been battling a bit of a cold (not the flu, just a cold) for about a week now. Anyway, we decided to keep him home from school for fear that his nose would bleed and he'd be sent home anyway. I told my mom what medications to give Jared and then called Jared off at school. I checked on him throughout the day, he was having blood-tinged snot most of the day. Dale came over to give Jared Factor this afternoon. He seemed OK after that.
Then, while I was bathing Jaime at 7:00 P.M. the phone rang...it was Tom. He said that Jared had swallowed a Lego. Yes, that's right, my SIX year old swallowed a Lego. An orange one, I hear! Anyway, I told him to take Jared to the ER. By this point Jared was hysterical and had yet another bloody nose. He had an x-ray that didn't show anything...this could be good or bad and was sent home with a special kit. One that allows a parent...AKA TOM, to "search" for the Lego upon it's exit! HA! He's fine and has a great story from his perspective if any of you want to call him to hear it! He's so darn animated. He said it was an accident (he was biting the piece he needed off another piece to make a propeller and it "just went down, next thing he knew he had to go to the ER") and he's never going to do that again...thank goodness! Typical "Trost" story! LOL!!!!!
That's about all for today's update! Hopefully things will be UNEVENTFUL in BOTH cities tomorrow!
Have a nice weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad Jaime is doing good! :) Surgery is on Monday- good luck! And then things can get back to normal and hopefully you can go home and not go back! :)

    Jared- Lego- oh my!! Poor kid!!!! And poor Dad- going through the exit situation - talk about eweee!! :) I know we change poopie diapers everyday, but I def don't sift through it! :) Yes I'm weird and make sure I look at it carefully... but eweee! :)

    And I have to say- we have this talking elmo- the live elmo- I know it's for 12+ months... or 18+ months, but K really enjoys it when her stuffed (singing) animals dance and sing... so I thought she would LOVE this.. no- she'll watch for a second, and then bust out crying...!! So I prolly should get the elmo you have.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you have me rolling with laughter...I know it's not funny, but only would all of this happen to you in one day! : ) We have been thinking of you all and especially Jaime! I know the feeling about the nurse situation...hopefully things will be more consistent soon!! We will continue thinking about Jaime this next week...thank god that they found it and you can move forward from here! Hope you have a nice, uneventful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.