This is how Jaime's day started.....

This is how Jaime's day ended....

These are the pictures in between before SIX ATTEMPTS to start and IV...YEA, SIX! By the way, he DOES NOT have an IV at all! None of them took! ARGH!!!!


So, we are getting all too familiar with this routine...hospital admit...discharge, 3 days home...hospital admit...discharge, 4 days home...hospital admit!
Jaime is back in Rainbow's he's on the "step-down" pulmonary floor. He's back to having respiratory issues. I tried everything I could at home to keep him home...he was even turned up to 1 liter 02 and still wasn't satting at 100%. i gave him Xopenex breathing treatments...my biggest concern was Jaime's heart rate. It was really high all morning. Finally, I called Cincinnati. They told me to call the pediatrician at the very least. So, I did. Dr. Namrow saw Jaime today...he said he was definitely working hard to breathe. The question was what do we do? He, as usual sounds clear. Dr. Namrow took an x-ray, sure enough the pneumonia on the right lung base showed up. After much drama with malfunctioning O2 tanks and lots of phone calls, we HAD to get re-admitted. He has been as high as 1 1/2 liters O2 since we've been here. He's currently between 3/4 and 1 liter and he's not even satting at 100%. He's asleep, but who wouldn't be after being poked 6 times, unsuccessfully for an IV and having an NG placed again? The NG is in place because they are thinking this is all from aspiration...they do not want Jaime to have anything by mouth until this pneumonia is clear.
Now, the flip side of this is that the x-ray doesn't look any different than the last two taken here...including the one from just last week. I have my own thoughts on that in which I'll keep to myself!
Anyway, Dr. Namrow did speak with Dr. Cahill in Cincy...she is extremely frustrated...Dr. Namrow said he is, too. Dr. Hellerstein came in to peak on Jaime and she said she feels that Cleveland isn't doing Jaime justice...hmmm.....
We talked about this "theory" and have concluded that if Jaime is indeed aspirating and we have feeding issues to work out in which we need to stay admitted, then once Jaime is stable for transport, we will be transferring him down to Cincinnati. Dr. Namrow said this is our "chance" to have things transferred, especially since the plan was to go there next Wed. anyway! We'll see what happens. For now, Jaime and I are back to "chillin' out in our Turtle Room 5-506 at Rainbows.
In other news...Jared had a good day. It was picture day...here are a few "practice" pictures before school....how handsome is he? I asked what time they took pictures, he told me after lunch and recess, so I'm guessing these two photos I took will be the best ones of the day...LOL!!!!!


So, that's been our crazy day! We are not the only ones who had a crazy day today...Jared's little buddy, Connor, had oral surgery today. He's such a brave little boy! Hope your mouth feels better soon, little guy!
Well, I'm off to attempt to get some sleep, I'm exhausted and am ready for this day to be OVER!!!!!

I'm so sad to read that he's back in the hospital AGAIN!!! I really hope they get to the bottom of this very soon. And yes, Jared looks very handsome.
ReplyDelete-Kellie
I feel so bad for you. I hope this time things get straightened out and when he goes home, he can stay home. He is such a happy little guy though. Jared is quite photogenic, himself. I think they both get it honestly.
ReplyDeleteI was really thinking that Jaime was done with this hospital stuff! I'm so sorry! I really hope this is the last time!!! My goodness poor baby and YOU!!!!
ReplyDeleteJared is going to be a heart breaker!! Better watch out! :)
This totally stinks. Poor Jaime! Has he ever had the barium swallow test to see if he is aspirating? Gia might be going to have it done...I just wasn't sure if he had that already or not. I hope you get things figured out ASAP so you can be back home. How frustrating you must be. : (
ReplyDeleteI can't believe poor Jaime is back in the hospital..This is crazy! While I don't want him to have any feeding issues, maybe it would be better if he was at Cincy for a short stay. I think you all might be more confident in the care there. Hoping this is a temporary set back and Jaime can get home soon.
ReplyDeleteJared has an award winning smile! I'd like a wallet size, please!
Sheryl - You and Jamie are in my thoughts constantly! We are praying hard that things will turn around and soon! Hang in there, you are amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteCarrie and Noah
Hi Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteI just came accross your blog from Vincent's. I am sorry to hear about Jamie is back at hospital. My Liam was not a CDH baby but he had respiratory issue and was in and out of hospital almost every month during his first six months of age and no one was able to pinpoint the root cause of the problem. After few ER trips, finally, one doctor thinks that he may have aspiration. Long story short, occupational therapist recommended us to thicken his milk w/ single grain oatmeal and he's been doing good. Not sure if Jamie aspiration case is same but you can ask about thickening his milk. Btw, we use oatmeal over rice b/c rice tends to make baby constipated :P
Anyhow, I pray for Jamie to get better and his lungs to clear up asap.
Love,
Dai
Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteThis stinks! I'm so sorry that you guys are back in the hospital :( Ugh - I know this is taking a severe toll on all family members. Hopefully - the doctors can determine what causes the reoccurences so these episodes can finally stop.