Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pre-op Prep

Today started off GREAT! I came in this morning to find a happy little boy playing in his crib. I decided to give him a bath and dress him in Jared's old Halloween outfit today because it doesn't have front buttons and he won't be able to wear it post-op! So, I wore my "Boo" shirt, too. We took some fun photos! Jaime was also wearing his new "boo" socks from the Cole Family and he was playing with his new "ball" toy from them, too! Thank you guys so much....what a fun surprise we got at the house yesterday!!!! :-) Anyway, all was well! Jaime fell asleep in my arms around noon, so I gently placed him in his crib and decided to go downstairs for a bite to eat. Just as I was sneaking out the nurses were gowning up to put Jaime's NG back in so that he could get "Go-Lytely." For those of you who have never had a colonoscopy, it is the prep that you have to drink to cleanse and empty your bowels. This is the very moment the day went down hill! Jaime had to be put in a t-shirt and diaper all day. :-( It took 2 doses of Go-lytely before he even started to "go." While in the midst of this, Jaime's NP came in to tell me that he needed blood...of course he did, he's been having so many pre-op labs drawn! Anyway, that was started just before 7:00 P.M. (Just after Tom got back into town.) Jaime is still receiving the blood as I type, Tom and I are still up in his room and I imagine we will be for several more hours. Jaime is currently having a reaction to the blood transfusion, he's very fussy, has a rash and is developing a fever. His vitals aren't all that stable...high blood pressure, high heart rate, he's breathing hard...etc. Some of this is normal for all of the blood he is receiving, but his symptoms are above the "norm." His nurse is Liz tonight, she and the fellow on are on top of things. The sad part is, after receiving 4oz. of blood, Jaime will have to get another 4oz. of Go-lytely. Then, he's going to receive Lasix (diuretic) to get all of that fluid out of him, as it's too much for his little lungs to handle! Put all of that fluid in, force it all out! What a nightmare! Tom and I feel awful for him! It's so sad to sit back and not be able to do anything to make him comfortable. I have literally held him ALL DAY until Tom came this evening! Poor guy!
Please say lots of prayers and wish up luck that Jaime will recover from rejecting the blood transfusion and that surgery will go smoothly tomorrow! This surgery is so concerning because it will be so much more involved than the first one on top of the hemophilia and we hear that it will be at least 3 hours long. We were also told that Jaime will be sedated and paralyzed for at least 24 to 48 hours post-op, as well as being intubated. We will not be able to hold him probably for several days! This is so hard to swallow because we're so used to being able to pick up our little boy to comfort him! :-(
Please add Anna Luken to your thoughts and prayers, she, too is having surgery tomorrow. She's Jaime's 8 year old Cincy CDH friend, she's having another back surgery. From the sounds of things, Anna and Jaime will be in the OR on the same floor at the same time! (Prayers to you guys, see you tomorrow afternoon!)

That's all from Cincy, here is a slide show of today's pics! Once again they are a bit out of order, but you get the idea! (Not sure why either because I downloaded them in the "correct" order...Hmmmm!)



P.S. There has been "movement" back in Wickliffe, but no Lego siting as of yet! Darn!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Jaime had a tough day. The pictures are so cute of him and you! : ) We will be thinking of him and Anna all day tomorrow. Praying that things go well so you can all move forward! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry today had to be so rough when you were just trying to get in a little pre-Halloween fun :( Jaime is always on my mind and tomorrow I'll be thinking and praying about him even more (Anna too).

    I keep forgetting to ask what size clothes Jaime is wearing these days. Just curious...Carter too if you know : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got your package before his surgery! I was hoping he would like the new ball. Katie has one just like it and she loves hers. We will be praying for Jaime, for a good surgical outcome and a speedy recovery!
    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's looking for an uneventful day for both of us. Hope he is doing ok now after the blood transfusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry Jaime is having a hard time. Hope he is recovering from the blood transfusion now and that everything goes well today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery. Love all the pictures of Jaime...he is too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- I can't believe it has taken me this long to get to the comment portion of your blog. I read it around 6:30 a.m... and am just now having time to comment.. arg!!

    Anyway- sooooo since it's been practically a whole day... I want to say I'm so sorry he had an awful time with the transfusion! That I bet didn't make it easy to go into surgery. Now for surgery, I wanted to tell you I was praying for him... I thought of him all day today. Made for a very spacey teacher, but oh well! :)

    Hope recovery is smooth sailing- oh yea, and why is this one more involved than the first?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.