Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Titi Time in the RCNIC

We're just hanging out in Cincinnati's Regional Center for Newborn Intensive Care(RCNIC) room B-1. Titi came to town yesterday, Tom went home. My mom is still in Cleveland helping out with Jared (thanks, Grammy!) and spending some time with her mother who hasn't been feeling great since her cancer diagnosis.
Jaime is stable...still has times of breathing irregularly and retracting...other times he's just fine. Just this morning, his nurse said she suctioned yellow/green snot from his nose (I have yet to see anything come out of him and have been here since 9:30 A.M.), but that has led to a series of things. 1) Jaime was placed on one to one nursing care; 2) he's in respiratory isolation; 3) he's being treated as though he has H1N1 because he's "been out in the community for 3 months;" 4) Respiratory swabs were obtained for testing...and 5) surgery may have to be postponed! UGH!
It has been determined that he is indeed teething...he's drooling a lot and is visibly uncomfortable until someone massages his gums, gives him Tylenol or Orajel. Apparently his ears are red...not surprising, Jared had ear infections with every single new tooth. It's funny how "normal" baby stuff turns into something so big! Well, better to be safe than sorry. I heard that there are some nurses here who have family members diagnosed with H1N1, so we'll do whatever we need to in order to keep him safe and on track for surgery!
In other news...I've been accepted back into Cincinnati's Ronald McDonald House. I am staying in room #17. I was able to meet up with some of our old RMH Cincy friends...it's kind of bittersweet as it's great to see them, but sad that they are still here. Titi and I enjoyed a WONDERFUL dinner there put on by the Aubrey Rose Foundation (http://www.aubreyrose.org/). Thank you, Nancy, the dinner was delicious and the decorations and party were fabulous! I couldn't have asked for a better "Welcome back to Cincy" dinner! :-)
Nothing else new to report! Just trying to get Jaime to sleep before we head back to RMH! We don't have a TV in our room, so we're not entirely in a hurry to get back there! HA! Jaime has Liz tonight...we just LOVE her and are so happy she has Jaime tonight...I won't have to worry about Jaime at all tonight! Hurray for our RCNIC nursing care!!! :-)

Enjoy the photos...they are a series of photos taken today (and one from yesterday). Jaime's so animated in them...he certainly has some funny expressions. We even caught him red-handed taking his nasal cannula out! HA!








1 comment:

  1. Well I really hope the nurses who have family members with H1N1 are wearing masks at least and are not taking care of your little guy!

    I'm so glad you are happy with the nursing staff- that helps to make this journey a little easier.

    I am praying Jaime is not sick- and that surgery stays on schedule!

    I hope all is well with you!! Get some rest! And make sure you are taking your vitamins and/or air borne!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.