He has spent a total of 119 of those days hospitalized...71 of them out of the hospital and of those 71 days, he had dr. appointments on 20 of them, which means that Jaime was a "normal" baby at home for really only 51 days. Crazy, stats, huh?
Other stats are Jaime is in the 3rd percentile for height and weight for his adjusted age and 10th percentile for head size for his adjusted age. Having said that...the biggest discussion in rounds today was how to fatten the boy up and if a g-tube is necessary! He's taking a lot of volume, just not enough calories to grow...so they put Jaime back up to 30cal formula today. For the most part he tolerated it well...what happened today is that Jaime just wasn't hungry after his first 30cal bottle. It took him an hour and a half to finish 4oz of 30cal formula after his first bottle.....WAYYYYYY longer than it should have taken. He just wasn't hungry enough to drink it. Even now, I just left the NICU...(it's just about 1:00 A.M.), technically, Jaime should have had a bottle around 12-12:30...the boy didn't even make a peep. Totally uninterested. On the plus side, Jaime did gain 15 grams, so he's back up to being almost 13lbs. again.
Other than the feeding talk...nothing else took place in rounds. I did speak to Jaime's hematologist, his hematology bloodwork came back abnormal for a second time indicating that he does indeed have a platelet disorder. He will be given medication pre and post op that will make his platelets more "sticky" (I swear, this is really the term that they used) so that they will be able to clot better along with 80% Factor.
Jaime had a good day...it was pretty long and boring (which in CDH world is a GOOD thing). I walked in this morning to Val reading a Halloween story to Jaime. Then I fed him squash and bathed him. He took a nice nap after that, when he woke up we played on the floor mat for several hours. His cough is still junky, but really only at night. For the most part, he's good during the day. I must admit, that boy has talent, tonight while he was in one of his coughing fits...I picked him up and he squirted vomit out of his nose. Yea, it was pretty gross...but I still say it takes talent to do that! EWWWEEEEE!!!!
He had 2 vomits today from his coughing, but like I said, over all did well! He even has some nice color back in his cheeks.
In other news, I had a funny call from Jared today. Apparently, he remembered my cell phone and called me on it! That's the first time he's ever done that. It's been 8 days since we've seen each other...this is the stinky part of not being in Cleveland. I really miss the little guy! Things do seem to be going rather well at home in spite of mine and Jaime's absence. Grammy is busy taking care of Jared and helping with my grandma, she even manages to spoil Tom and Jared with dinner on the table...STOP IT, MOM....they're going to get used to it and expect it from ME!
Dale seems to be taking care of Jared's factor for us, so that's not a worry either...all is well on the home front in Wickliffe and Cincinnati!
Enjoy today's pics...I didn't take a lot...as I said it was a LONG boring (good) day......
Oh wait, I almost forgot...Jaime did have one exciting thing happen today...the very tip of his first tooth broke through his gums today...you'll NEVER guess which one. It was his TOP, left second incisor. Strange little boy...he does have a "bumpy" gum on the bottom left front, too, but nothing has poked through yet. We used to joke about Jaime getting his first tooth in the NICU...today that happened! I'll tell ya, CDH World just isn't "normal."
Getting cozy, playing with his cords after his bath.

Good night from the Ronald McDonald House in Cincy!




He looks great!! :) And I'm so glad he gets play time at the hospital!!
ReplyDeleteAccording to your stats, Jaime needs to go home! So when did they decide to do the surgery?
And I bet Jared misses you like crazy just as you are him!! Things will all come together soon enough!! Hang in there!!
And get some sleep!! :)
What a journey you guys have been on! You are constantly in my thougths! Noah reherniated last year as well, so I totally relate to what you going through, and especially about being away from Jared! Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteCarrie Baker
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cutie!! Such expressive pictures of Jamie on the mat. How fun? Yes, I agree - boring is very good in the CDH world. I wish I could be more bored. Praying for you guys! Hope the surgery is soon and goes smoothly.
ReplyDeleteJust checking in to see how that gorgeous little man is doing! He looks adorable as always!!!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!
Corin