Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We're going back to Cincy!

Hello Jaime's World Fans, sorry it's been a few days since I've posted, I've been really busy playing "Nurse Mommy" to Jaime (and Jared twice a week).

Let's bring you all up to date....Saturday my father brought my mom to town to help us with the boys.
Jaime and Poppy on Sunday afternoon before Poppy flew home.


Jared and Jaime in "Grammy's" bedroom doorway.


Monday, I spent most of the day coordinating Jaime's equipment and supplies for our trip back to Cincinnati. In the afternoon "Uncle" Dale came for a visit. During that visit, Jaime, while asleep on the feeding pump decided to reflux backwards. He coughed-choked really-and all of the sudden, formula came out of his nose. I picked him up gave him to Dale and yanked the NG out of his nose. What a nightmare! He spent most of the day gagging on his phlegm. So, instead of putting the NG back, we decided to leave it out and give him Pedialyte for the night. Dr. Hellerstein called to check on him, she said it was a good idea to leave the tube out for a while due to his increased secretions. (we just put it back in before we left for Cincy). Jaime continued on Pedialyte most of the night and we were told to slowly introduce his thickened formula.

Tuesday Jaime went to see Dr. Hellerstein for his post-discharge follow up! He was still wheezing and working hard to breathe, but over all OK. He was weighed, I'm happy to report that he was a whopping 13.05 lbs. Woohoo....way to go, Jaime! (must be all of that force feeding...ARGH).

Wednesday...this morning we had our first home P.T. visit from UH Home Care. The therapist's name is Ellen. She feels that Jaime needs to have P.T. twice a week....along with S.P. and O.T. (yea, he's pretty developmentally behind). She was going to call me later this week to schedule the next appointments. She seems very nice. Hopefully, she'll be able to help us get Jaime back on track. The home care O.T. is going on maternity leave and they don't really have anyone to replace her at the moment, so, we'll be holding off on that for now. S.P. will be coming starting next week.
This afternoon, I left Jaime for the very first time since we've been home...I had to take Jared to the dentist. My mom stayed with Jaime...he was just fine! Slept most of the time!
Side note-Jared's dentist was really nice, Jared needs to get some sealants on his teeth...he's got some groves in them from forming wrong, so we'll get these fixed on the 28th-right before Halloween...HA!
After Jared's dentist appointment, we came home and packed. Man, this little Jaime has a lot of stuff! Tom and I each have a small bag...Jaime has lots of bags....and equipment...all just for 2 nights! Thank goodness my mom is here, we don't have room for Jared in the car! :-)

Speaking of Jared, here are some photos of him just before we left. He had a family project to make a diorama of an animal and its habitat. Well, between, Tom, Grammy, Jared and myself, we got it done.....here's the finished product! You can tell that Jared is thrilled to have Mamarazzi taking photos...HA!

Outside of the badger's home!

Inside the badger's home.
OK, I'm off. We just stopped to give Jaime his car seat break! Here's a current picture of Jaime...poor little guy is exhausted! Traveling is really hard on him, but hopefully, we'll get some much needed answers.


Until tomorrow......

P.S. OK, so I know that you all get a kick out of our freak show....so here's what just happened at our stop. We stopped at Perkins (somewhere different for a change.) We never take Jaime out, so when I picked him up and realized his clothes were wet, I kind of freaked. We had to use the bathroom changing table. Can you say, "EWEEEEE?"
I put paper towels down, then my diaper bag pad. When I laid Jaime down, he started to cough. Just after I changed his diaper and sat him up to put new clothes on him...he coughed, gagged and threw up mucus. Then, he pooped! So much for that diaper! After about 15mins. of drama in the bathroom, I come back to the table with Jaime, the diaper bag and large O2 tank on wheels....only to find that the food came out the minute I got up and it was cold. The waitress was kind enough to warm it up for me, but by then, I wasn't all that hungry! I swear, never a dull a moment here!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I hope answers are found and solutions! Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers - and Jaime - you can't be admitted again - okay?

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness! Things just won't quiet down for you! Your poor baby too! I pray everyday for him to kick this nasty thing and be healthy! Jeez-a-loo!! And your restaurant story- fantastic!:) But stressful!! :(

    Good luck on the road and be safe! GET BETTER JAIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to have a bit of excitement in your day..you wouldn't want your life to be boring!
    Safe travels : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all be careful traveling, and Jaime - GET BETTER SOON!!!! Thinking of y'all and never stop praying!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jamie is sure keeping you on your toes!! I hope that Cincinnati can give you the answers you need to get Jamie better. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.