This morning, Jaime had Jaime (love her!). She called me at 8:00 A.M. to tell me that Jaime's OR time was moved up to 11:00 A.M. from 1:15 P.M. We were having a slow moving morning....a half hour later, she called and said that Jaime's OR time was going to be 10:00 A.M. Needless to say, we high-tailed it over there to be with him. He was OK this morning, we even got a few smiles out of him. 10:00 A.M. came and went, then 11:00 A.M. came...there was some commotion, but it, too went by. Jaime finally left the floor around 11:30ish....Tom and I walked to the OR with him. We said good-bye and gave him kisses just as we got off of the elevator on the surgical floor. Jaime was super cute, he was smiling, laughing, waving his arms and kicking his feet when we kissed him. Poor guy had no idea what was about to happen to him...neither did we or surgeons either!
Surgery Facts:
1) Surgery was 5 hours long
2) Jaime's bowels and kidney were in his chest.
3) His liver and bowels were fused to his skin making dissection extremely long and difficult.
4) He had a posterior tear of the Gortex patch.
5) The initial patch was repaired and a second was placed over it for reinforcement and to fix the re-herniation.
6) His fascia was CLOSED! He has a "real" tummy now instead of a pouch!
7) He lost roughly 100cc's of blood, but had 90cc's transfused during surgery.
8) Dr. Tiao consulted with many surgeons before and during Jaime's surgery. One of the surgeons is head of the transplant division.
9) Speaking of transplants, Dr. Tiao said in many ways this was worse than a liver transplant because of the liver being shifted and fused.
10) Jaime is and will continue to remain sedated and on a vent for the next few days.
Jaime's surgery was much more involved than they thought, but he did just fine during it. (I must admit, I was nervous as each hour passed by.) Afterward, he was brought up to his room, he had a chest x-ray and blood gas. His x-ray showed that the top of his right lung had collapsed. His gas indicated a very high CO2 level (88). So, up his vent settings went, his second gas was way better (46). So, he has a lot of pressure support in the way of his ventilator, the hope is that this will open his collapsed lung. He is due for another chest x-ray in the early A.M. He did have a bit of a rough time staying sedated. He is on lots of medication to stay paralyzed and sedated...you'll see from some of the photos how Jaime was moving. He needed a few PRN (as needed) medications to keep him "down." His heart rate was very high and he was developing a rash. Liz has Jaime again tonight (we LOVE her), she noticed that Jaime was laying on a warming pad and that he was under the warmer set at a very high setting, much higher than his norm. In general, he, like Jared, is a "cold" baby, so a temp of 99 degrees can indicate a fever for him. Anyway, she cleaned up his bed and readjusted him, propping his right side up to take pressure off of his tummy and to try and expand his right lung more.
While it was MUCH EASIER to say "good-bye" at the OR doors, it was MUCH HARDER to see Jaime so "lifeless" and on so much support post-op. He was only 23 days old when he had his first major surgery, today, he is 194...this gave us lots more time to bond...making it so hard not to pick him up. I rubbed his leg and his heart rate shot up, he just can not handle being "touched" right now. I had to sit on the other side of the room from him just not to sit and hold his hand (which is all I wanted to do). It's sooooo incredibly sad to him this way. You know, you expect it the first time, but for some reason, I didn't expect the second time to be WORSE than the first. (In terms of surgery and how he looked/acted post-op). I'm hoping he has a good night and day tomorrow. I can't wait to get my Jaime healthy and back home with Jared. (I miss him soooooo much, it's been 13 days since I've seen Jared...not that I'm counting or anything!) :-(
Please keep Jaime in your thoughts in prayers as he enters into this critical post-op period! Thank you so much!
Before I go, we'd like to wish Anna a speedy recovery, she had back surgery today and from what we hear, all went well! :-)
Time to say good night, it's 2:00 A.M.

Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting even though it was 2am and all you probably wanted to do was sleep! I thought about Jaime all day yesterday and we had special prayer for him last night at church. Hoping that this surgery made him better and stronger than he was before!
~Beth
Jaime has been in my thoughts constantly. What a hard, hard day!!! I am praying for a quick and uneventful recovery! I can't wait to read that he is off the ventilator and on his way home! I am sure you read them anyways, but check out Sofia's website and Ava's website for lots of hope on easy recoveries from difficult reherniations!
ReplyDeleteLots of love,
Jennifer
Mom to Dakota
Wow what a long day for you, dad and Jaime! I'm glad surgery went well!! However I bet it is so dang hard not to be able to snuggle that poor baby!! You stay strong, and so will Jaime!! You both can get through this!! We are hoping now that Jaime is on a healthy short track to recovery so you can go home and stay home!
ReplyDeleteGet some rest!!
What a very long day for you all. Thanks for the updates during the day. I was anxious to hear more..I was glad to see this update this morning. I like starting my day with good news. Jaime looks good: his belly, color...despite the tubes, I don't see them...I see a beautiful little boy! I'm looking forward to good news over the next few days: right lung opening, continued good blood gases, lowering and getting off the vent, weaning sedation..going home! OK that one might take a little bit, but that day will be here before you know it : )
ReplyDeleteWhat a very long day for you. Praying for Jaime and an uneventful post-op! He is such a strong little guy and I hope to see him feeling lots better soon and we get to see that so cute smile of his! He does look good color wise in the pictures for just having a major surgery. Hopefully, you see a good xray today. Stay strong Jaime and we are wishes you an easy recovery, you sure are super baby in my book!!
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Tracy
We've been thinking about you guys nonstop! I am so glad that he is out of surgery and on his way to recovery. It breaks my heart to read all that you guys went through today. I remember the Dr's telling me that Noah's reherniation repair would be so much easier than his first, but I agree with you, it was harder! You are used to seeing your baby at home and loving on them and now to see them go through this all again? Noah's 2nd repair was also full of unexpected suprises. These CDH kids are good at that aren't they? You continue to completley amaze me with your strength. There are so many people praying for Jamie and Jared and they are so loved, even by strangers! Keep taking it one day at a time, you are amazing!
ReplyDeleteCarrie and Noah
I seriously teared up reading your post. I don't think you even question it or think about it the first time around because it's a necessity. But you don't expect to ever have to go through this again. I really hope Jaime has a quick recovery and you can snuggle with him soon.
ReplyDelete-Kellie
As a Mom who endured a second surgery - not of the same child - I so understand. But Jaime looks really good! That is important! One day or moment at a time - I hope he flies through recovery and is back to himself - or even more of himself.
ReplyDeleteJust tell him not to listen to Jared about eating Legos!
With thoughts and prayers,
Elizabeth
My heart goes out to you! I have been praying for Jaime since day 1, He is a strong little man. Praying that his body heals quickly so he can be back in his mommy's arms.
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
Amber
Glad to see Jaime is stable and made it through quite the LONG day on Monday...and mom & dad too! The worst is behind you as it can only get better from here....the first few days are always the toughest after surgery, and it is so hard to watch your child go through it! I've been thinking about you all! Take care and stay strong!!!
ReplyDelete