Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3-11-09 U/S Appt. Update


Today was another ultra sound,but before that I had an appointment with Dr. Varyani.

Since the weekend, I have been contracting...not consistently, but I had a few "hard" ones yesterday, so I called Dr. Varyani. She wanted to see me today.
The appointment started out OK, I didn't gain any weight, my BP was 100/60, Jaime's heart rate was in the 130's...all good, then I was measured. I am 29wks. and am measuring at 34wks. today. UGH! No wonder I feel so "full" and my hips are hurting.

After the appointment, I went to my already scheduled ultra sound. Those are both fun and scary at the same time! I got to see Jaime again, he's a little chunk-a-munk, good thing because the next thing I'm about to type is horrible.

My amniotic fluid is measuring 33.7 cm, it should be under 20cm, more like around 16cm. That alone explains my measurements at Dr. Varyani's. 12 days ago, my fluid was 28cm, not horrible, but not great, today it's just way too high, which also explains the contractions. My body is thinking that Mr. Jaime is just about full term simply based on the size of my uterus and is preparing for labor. Now, there are 2 interventions that can be done, of course neither without risks.
The first one is to drain the fluid, this may cause me to go into labor, in which case, the drs. may not be able to offer Jaime much. Cincinnati needs me to be 32 weeks for additional intervention on Jaime.
The second option is to put me on a medication called Indocin, that stops the contractions and reduces the fluid...perfect, right? Well, this option affects the baby's heart. Now, the heart can be monitored by ultra sound every 2 days, but if the fluid is up, it's hard to see the area of the heart that they want to see.
Of course, I could opt for nothing and risk going into labor at anytime.

So, what Cincinnati and Cleveland came up with is doing BOTH methods, fluid reduction and Indocin. I am going to have the fluid reduction done on Friday here in Cleveland with a few hours of observation in labor and delivery, if I do not go into labor, then I am going to come home and be on total bed rest, indefinitely after that. Follow up ultra sounds will be done every 2 to 3 days. If I make it to 32 wks and am stable for transfer, I will be going to Cincinnati, then. (That would be around April 2nd.)

On the positive side, Jaime is measuring 3 lbs, 10 oz. and 32 weeks by ultra sound, even though I am only 29 weeks. He is in the 95%, a nice big boy, especially if he's going to come early!

So, that's the latest! I told Dr. Corteville that I'm her "exciting" case, she told me that I've met my "excitement" quota for the pregnancy and that it's time to stop! HA!

Please keep us all in your prayers, most importantly, pray that Mr. Jaime stays put for a few more weeks!
Thank you so much!!!!

Love,
Sheryl

5 comments:

  1. It's been a rough day :( I am sure you heard about Addison...I just got to meet her last Monday. I am getting so scared. You tell "Mr. Jaime" that he needs to stay-put!! He is NOT done baking yet. Keeping all of you guys in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fluid was 33 at one appt. and then like 17 at the next.... ya never know what it will be. Hopefully yours will regulate itself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that Jaime stays put...he needs that time in the womb! You must very scared with your fluid levels being so high. Praying you don't go into labor when they drain the fluid and bed rest is must for you...let your family and friends pamper you!! Once you get to Cincinnati at 32 weeks, will they just wait until Jaime arrives? Jaime, stay put little boy and keep getting stronger.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers, Tracy - mom to Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawn and I are praying that Jaime stays right where he is. Fluid levels are tricky. We're also praying for your procedures that are coming up. Hang in there girl. You're so close... Thinking about you!

    Stephanie
    Kamryn's mommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for you & Jaime. I'm just a few minutes away.....if you need ANYTHING. I've got lots of movies you can borrow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.