Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 9, 2009

3-9-09

Hello Family and Friends,

Here's some exciting baby news...at the end of last week I emailed Dr. Deforia Lane, she is the head of the Music Therapy Department at University Hospitals here in Cleveland. I asked her about suggestions for our NICU baby, she gave me a whole list of things that we can do, including a website (babygotosleep.com) to purchase a CD for Jaime and is going to call me this week to discuss further options. Not only that, she is going to personally make a referral to Cincinnati so that Jaime can have Music Therapy there right from the start! I am so excited by this! From everything that I have studied, I fully believe in the power of music and am hoping that Jaime benefits from it as much as some of the children I used to work with years ago did!

In other news, I started physical therapy today for my back. I met with my old therapist, Curtis, he's great! He told me that if the therapy doesn't work, he'll at least give me a free foot massage...HA! Maybe he'd throw in a pedicure while he's at it! HA!

As for appointments, I have another ultra sound on Wednesday with Dr. Corteville and then Tom, Jared and I are headed to Titi's house this weekend, I have a hematology appointment on Monday in Cincinnati. After that, (St. Patty's Day), I have another appointment with Dr. Varyani! (I will have P.T. appointments in between all of that.)
At the very least, the appointments get me out of the house! :-)

As for my sinus infection, I am much better than I was the last 2 weeks, so that antibiotic really worked!

Jared's doing well, he's letting me do his IV's just fine. We have a schedule, he helps me gather the supplies (saline, needles, alcohol pads, etc.). Fortunately, I've gotten the hang of finding a vein quickly, so I don't have to stick him more than once!

And last, but not least, Tom has been very busy with his schools and band practices. He's performing in a community play and they have been rehearsing on the weekends. He's also the music director at church, so he's busy preparing the kids for another "performance" during Sunday service. All and all, he's doing great!


On a separate note: The CDH community has been quite active these last few weeks. Sadly, Corben and Jospeh became angels. Davis and Maxton were born and are still in the NICU, "fighting" for their chance to come home. There are several babies who are coming up on their due dates, in particular, Kaden, Baby Boy Adler (I won't give up the name yet, Jeremy), twins: Kamryn (LCDH) and Brooke. Finally, there are countless CDH survivors who are battling their own issues at home. We want to let our CDH families know that they are in our thoughts and prayers and hope that you will add all of them to yours, too.

That's the latest from Wickliffe!

Hope everyone is doing well,

Hugs,
Sheryl

1 comment:

  1. I complete agree with you that music therapy can work wonders!! Ian loved to have music played for him and we also read many books to him in the NICU. As long as Jaime can handle the stimulation and his stats stay normal, he is going to love the music. I really hope the PT can help your back feel better! Best wishes for good appointments coming up. Many continued prayers for your little boy!!

    Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.