Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of 1st Grade/First "Crawl"

There are too many things to tell about each boy, so I'll split this post to talk about BOTH boys!

Jared had an AWESOME first day of 1st grade. (I hope his teacher thinks so, too!) He came home and told us all about what he did. He went into great detail on the "behavior cards" that Mrs. Morris has. He even told us that when you're "seferely" (severely) bad you get a detention. Tom and I thought it was so cute to listen to all of the fun stuff he did today. I especially liked Jared's new word..."seferely." HA!
Here are photos from Jared's 1st day.
Jared and Jaime on the front porch just before school. Jaime was awake, but it was too bright out for him, so he kept his eyes closed. Oh, and this is Jaime's "car bed" for those of you who haven't seen it yet. (Dad, remember the outfit that Jaime's wearing? You bought it for Jared 6 years ago in Maryland when Jared was just 6 weeks old...now my 19 week old is wearing it! HA!)



Jared in the back seat of the car...yes, I drove him today. I spoke with the superintendent and she said Jared will be picked up at home tomorrow. I still don't know what bus or what time, but I'll have Jared ready just the same! I was so happy that Dr. Cintavey was so understanding of our bizarre situation.


Jared walking into school...in a "special" door just for the first graders.


Jared sitting at his desk in his classroom. The picture is blurry because I was trying to take it at the door without him seeing me. Can you find him near the top of the page in the striped shirt?


Finally, Jared after school outside by his school "welcome back" sign.


OK, now on to Jaime. I took him to have his labs drawn this morning after dropping Jared off at school. I'm hoping to have those results back tomorrow. We were at the lab where MY primary care physician is located, so we stopped down to see her. She was thrilled to meet Jaime. She said he was a true medical miracle. (I agree!!! :-)
Jaime had another good day. He was acting really hungry this afternoon after his bottle, so I gave him some carrots. He loves them...he was smiling and gobbling them down. He ate about a tablespoon in total. Hey, it's something! After his bottle and carrots he took a nap draped over his Boppy. I think he looks so cute with his bottom in the air.


Once Jared came home, Jaime got up and Tom laid him on the floor. Then, Jaime got a view of his favorite orange giraffe rattle and went for it.




After about 10 minutes of doing a fancy crawl/spin maneuver, Jaime FINALLY got the rattle! SUCCESS!!!!

It was really cute to watch him get on all fours and crawl/spin. I'm just sorry I didn't video it. Hey, at lease I grabbed the camera and took shots of him at each stage. :-)

After dinner both boys played on the swing set. Here's a funny shot I took of Jared and Jaime on the swing set. All and all, today was a nice day.


Before I go, I'd like to ask you to please send some positive thoughts to Cincinnati, as Carter, Jaime's CDH buddy, will be having open heart surgery tomorrow! Thanks...good luck, guys, we'll be thinking of you all tomorrow.

Enjoy the pics and have a nice night!

4 comments:

  1. What big boys you have!!! First grade and a crawlish thing...NICE!!! We miss you guys. Thanks for the thoughts, it is an early morning and was a late night, just to prepare for a LONG day!!! Keep the energy coming! We all need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime was quite determined to get that rattle and what a great job "crawling" to get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are adorable. What a big boy he is!!! I know you're proud of both of them. It's so good to see Jaime gain so much strength. He's a fighter!!!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great thing - Noah started second grade! Oh - I think Jared will have an influence on Sir Jaime becoming more mobile quickly! Bet he watches his big brother and thinks - I want to do that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.