Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

ER/PICU Admit :-(

Let's start from the beginning...as many of you know, Jaime has been battling "something" since the weekend. I really thought he was starting to turn around and get better, unfortunately, last night he got worse. Jaime woke up at 2:00 A.M. satting low...in the 80's, with an elevated heart rate and was grunting all night. I turned his O2 up and got him to 93. That was the highest I could get him. I fed him his 9:00 A.M. and he threw the entire thing up...on both him and I...this after his bath! :-(
Then he tried to sleep, but was really fussy and uncomfortable. By 11:00 A.M. I was calling the drs. They couldn't get him in today....but they could tomorrow, so I took that appointment. As time went I, Jaime was satting lower, not eating and just looked miserable. I called the dr's. back...they told me to take Jaime to the ER. Now, one thing I'll have to make note of is that Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital are two completely different companies.
Anyway, I once worked at Hillcrest (a CCF hospital), so I felt more comfortable taking Jaime there, rather than coming to Rainbow's. Mike, a friend of mine, was the ER dr. on today. He took one look at Jaime and said, "now Sheryl, you know the drill...I can't send him home." Yes, I knew that he would probably be admitted, but I took a chance at going to Hillcrest...knowing full well, that my friends wouldn't lie to me and do anything unnecessarily.
So, Jaime had aerosol treatments, these helped tremendously...IV fluids started, blood work and a chest x-ray. Jaime had a low grade fever and was wheezing...so once everything was back, Mike made a call to Rainbow's PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). Apparently, they were waiting for us...see the pediatrician's office said thought that we were going to Rainbow's ER...not CCF's ER.
Needless to say, we were transferred within 2 1/2 hours of getting to the ER. I thought that was impressive...no wait, got the tests done quickly, called for a bed, got accepted and then the ambulance came.
Jaime is currently stable in the PICU on 1 liter O2. They haven't given him any more medicine, than his normal meds, as he just has something viral going on. He is satting between 94% and 100% which is much better from the 80's earlier. He also isn't retracting as much. Honestly, I think he just needed those aerosol treatments to open him up and his O2 bumped up. Respiratory-wise, he is much better. In general, he just looks sick. Puffy, glazed eyes, pale, lethargic, fussy. I did manage to get him to drink 2 1/2 bottles since we've been in the PICU.
He's finally asleep now.
The drs. said that if he continues to eat and if we can wean him back down on his O2 with good results, he can be discharged tomorrow. I hope so...but then again, we don't want him to go home just to come back. So, we'll see.
I've never been one to "hide" images of Jaime...so here are a few from today,
Jaime and his aerosol mask at Hillcrest Peds ER.


Jaime on the squad cart ready for transport. (I was not able to go with him in the squad, but I was able to follow it all the way to Rainbows.) The critical care team came to get him, this meant that he had a nurse in the squad with him along with 2 EMT's.


Finally, Jaime in his PICU crib. The room is very large, with a rather comfy bed/couch. The only weird thing is that there is no bathroom...it's down the hall.


The drs. here are really kind. Jaime's nurse, Daniel, just loves him and said that he's taking Jaime home tonight. All of the other nurses have come in to see all of his hair. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Jaime currently is the youngest baby in the PICU. I think Jaime misses his Cincy nurses, though...he's only cracked one smile and that was when Jared and Tom came up for a visit. He's not his usual "flirty" self with the nurses...that's how we know he must be sick! :-(

Anyway, that's the update! What we tried to avoid for the weekend, we ended up having to do after all. I guess Jaime just wanted to spend his 5 month birthday in the hospital.

Here's hoping the night is uneventful and Jaime is stable enough to be home.

7 comments:

  1. Sheryl, I'm really sorry that Jaime had to go to the hospital. But it sounds like he's doing much better. Hopefully all goes well over night. Just curious what treatment he was given. Emily was on Albuteral(sp) after her resp infection last June. Now we give it to her if she's having any breathing trouble. Wondering if it's the same med. Em has the same mask! What a cute pick of him being transported, he looks extra tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope Jaime starts to feel better soon! We'll be keeping him in our prayers!
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw-I am so sorry! I am glad to hear that Jaime is doing better! I hope he has a quick recovery!!!!!
    Love,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even when this kids sick he's a cutie! Glad he'd doing better. Hug the both boys for us. Here's our hope and prayer for a quick return home, and better health. Our love, Dale and Majken

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that Jamie had to be admitted...I am a few days behind in reading your blog so I didn't know he hadn't been feeling well! I hope he gets out of there ASAP...sounds like he may be feeling better already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saying prayers and sending positive thoughts - I hope he gets better very soon!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about Jaime! Sending lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.