What goes in, must come out....and out...and out....and out....really, the ENTIRE post can be "OUT and OUT." This poor baby, I don't know what to say. He's in such great spirits for all he's gone through recently. His latest battle with intake continues. Every single thing that goes in his mouth or feeding tube comes out in the way of vomiting or severe diarrhea. It's 9:30 A.M., Jaime is in his 6th sleeper already and I have an entire load of vomit and diarrhea clothes, blankets and sheets going. We stopped the "Simply Thick" yesterday morning after his first blow out diaper (as he had been experiencing these in the hospital as well). We bought rice...he seemed to tolerate it well. His dirty diapers were less watery. Then, out of the blue...the vomiting started. He's still coughing and that has provoked many of the vomiting episodes, however, he was fussing during the night...come to find out he was covered in throw up. Not one cough came out of him. Needless to say, it was another sleepless night for Tom and I. We had decided to tube feed him at intervals instead of continuously at night because of what happened Friday night. We replaced Jaime's tube at 8:30 P.M. last night...gave him a breathing treatment and off to sleep he went. I tube fed him his 10:30 P.M. feed over 35 minutes. An hour later...throw up! Then, it was 2:00 A.M.-ish. Jaime woke up hungry, we decided to let him drink a bottle...next thing we know....the "silent" vomit I mentioned above. Time went on, 6:00 A.M. Jaime was hungry again...go figure, and this time it was diarrhea. Then, he wanted another bottle at 8:00 A.M. We made him a small Isolmil bottle with rice (his old formula thinking it's the Neosure milk-based formula that he's not tolerating), a half hr. later...cough, cough....throw up AND diarrhea! UGH!
Tom and I were talking about his wet diapers and don't recall a "wet" diaper since the evening. So, I weighed him...he did loose one ounce...I know, not significant, but when we're already having trouble with him gaining weight, it's kind of alarming. You have to think, how long will this continue and when will the scale go up again? Jaime is clean again and currently sleeping in his swing. I put Pedialyte down his feeding tube while he's asleep just to hydrate him.
I would say that Jaime just has a stomach virus or something, but the fact is, he is acting completely normal! He's playful, smiley...to be honest, after his last throw up episode, he looked at Jared and giggled. He doesn't look sick to me...tired, but not sick. I don't know. I think that Tom and I are going to go back to the Soy thickened with rice formula for today to see what happens. I hate to change things, but something needs to be done...Jaime's never going to gain weight this way.
We never made it to the Pumpkin Patch yesterday because it rained literally all day and night. It's still drizzling. We hope it lets up soon as today is the day that Tom's band is having a benefit for us. The venue is mostly in a sheltered outdoor area, but there is a small hall there, too. So many people put so much time and work into this event, we'd hate to see it rained out! Thank you to everyone who put the event together for us and for everyone who comes today...I'm sure, rain or shine, it will be awesome! :-)
See you there!

wow- i'm so sorry- I can just imagine the amnt of stress you have right now... I wish I could give you some advice.. or something to try, but I have not a clue. I'm so sorry.. I hope something works soon!!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!
We are praying he starts keeping his food in.. both ends!!!!
I'm sorry to hear that Jamie is having such a rough time. I hope you don't mind me interfering a bit, but what kcal/oz is he on? If you remember, Carter was vomiting every single feed and we were so tired and frustrated. Everyone kept telling us (including Cinci when we went there for a consult) to keep decreasing volumes and increase calories. So we did. And he kept vomiting. Then, we decided to back to the basics and see if we could get a baseline where he didn't vomit, so we backed down to the normal old 20 kcal/oz and he immediately stopped! We're up to 25 kcal/oz now and he's doing great. It's been almost 2 months since any vomiting at all. I don't recommend anything that would hurt Jamie, but I just want to pass along what worked for US.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. I promise it gets better. I never believed it, but it does.
Hey Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Kellie. As you know Emily has had much difficulty with keeping her food down. We too started over at 20 kcal/oz, slowing increasing, but keeping her in her comfort zone of little to no puking, 24kcal/oz for a 20 month old!! Crazy, I know, but she is tolerating this so well, so that's what I'm sticking with for now. If we could just get her to eat, then life would be almost normal!
What an exhausting night you've had. Hopefully the benefit will re-energize you and Jaime will have a better day with keeping his intake...IN!
Hey Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about Jamie throwing up so much. Unfortunately, we are currently in the same boat with you guys. Little Carter has a stomach bug and has been coughing non-stop and vomitting. We are giving him mainly pedialyte and some formula as he tolerates it. He is crying all the time. Poor guy. I hope James feels better soon!
P.S. Carter did not tolerate rice cereal at all. He threw up all the time with it so we discontinued it.