Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fan of PT?!?

So, Mr. Jaime had his first PT session at Rainbows today....here are 2 photos that I took from his session with Carol.




Notice the alligator tears? Yep, that's right folks, he cried the entire 1 hour and 15 min. Either A. He misses Angela, Noelle and Ann, his therapists in Cincinnati, or B. He truly hates therapy! I'm going to guess A...OK, at least I miss the Cincy girls! Carol was very sweet and patient with him. She told me...and this really was no surprise to me...that his motor skills are that of a 2 month old. Today, he is 21 weeks old....so that puts him just over 3 months behind. He has no muscle tone on him, in fact his skin hangs on his bones (his current weight on his home scale is 11 lbs. 7 oz.). He has no core muscles because his fascia is still open, his torticollis is getting worse...again, no surprise. We are due back once a week for a while...Jaime, respiratory-wise, couldn't handle the therapy. In fact, I had to turn his O2 up to 3/4 of a liter, I probably should have turned him up to 1 liter, I may next time. He fell asleep on the way home, but spent 2 hours post-therapy breathing really hard...poor guy.
So, that sums up therapy. Here are some recent photos....he's so darn cute...and that big brother of his isn't too shabby either! :-) Enjoy!

Jaime sporting his new Hollywood shirt from Grammy & Poppy while wearing Jared's old shorts...OK, so I had to put him in sweatpants because the shorts kept falling off of him.


Jaime in Lauren's Bumbo. This position is very hard for him to be in...respiratory-wise!


Sweet sleepy baby. (Notice the sweatpants?)


Jared showing Jaime his DS after school, yes Jared put a headphone on Jaime again.


Jaime in his swing playing with his "steering wheel" guy.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry therapy was so rough! It was rough for Dakota too! On top of that we had to drive 35 minutes to therapy, which Dakota would scream the whole way and end up there out of breath with a bright red blotchy face. Then the screaming would continue for the half hour with the therapist, where I felt we did not get much accomplished. Finally, after I got enough tips of my own to work on, I gave up (probably not a good idea but I couldn't take it anymore). I just wanted to give you some hope though. Dakota was also born 7 weeks early with RCDH and she is still running a little behind developmentally but she is slowly catching up. She was born 12-25-2008. She just sat up unassisted at 8 1/2 months, but I am so proud of her for doing it. I figure if she continues to hit the milestones, even if they are late, that is okay. Jaime and Dakota will catch up eventually and they already conquered so much more than normal babies, so I figure they are already ahead in the personality and heroism department! I hope he has better appointments in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that therapy was hard for Jaime. Hopefully, that will be the hardest session, and they will start to get easier and easier for him. What a great big brother Jared is to Jaime. I love to watch Hollie with the girls. She is such a great helper, as I know Jared is to Jaime. We continue to pray for y'all. We love you!!!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.