Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, September 21, 2009

Still in Step Down

Jaime's not coming home today, not tomorrow either...not sure when at this point.
Today, Jaime had 5 bottles and has managed to throw up 4 of them so far. He doesn't have a tummy ache, it's from his coughing. He's coughing and gagging so bad today. He lost weight and the drs. said they were going to put in an NG. Then, they decided they wanted a swallow eval, but the SP said she can't do it when he's throwing up like this. The drs. don't want the NG in during the swallow eval. The eval is now set for tomorrow at 1:00 P.M. , in the meantime, Jaime isn't keeping much down. Not sure if they're going to put in an IV again or not. I do know that Jaime will be getting IV Factor tomorrow before the NG insertion. He's been having some blood tinged mucus....both from his nose and coughing it up. (I know, TMI, sorry!) So, if they have to do an IV for Factor, they may as well leave it in and potentially give him fluids if needed.
This afternoon they weaned his O2. He's fine when asleep, but has problems when awake, so back up he went!
Jaime had to have another bath...I dunked him in the basin. They don't have tubs here, it's either that or another comfort bath which is warm wet cloths in bed. Those aren't working, Jaime was stinky from his vomit. It was rather funny bathing him in the round basin, but we managed!
Tom and Jared came up with dinner from Mama Santa's in Little Italy...this time Tom had to bring Jaime clothes because he just about ran out of his. New clothes, new blankets, suctioning, a bottle = SLEEPING JAIME! :-)

Anyway, some people have asked if they can visit...Jaime IS allowed to have visitors. He's in Rainbow's 5-506, his phone number is 216-844-4134. I don't know how much longer we'll be here...honestly the drs. don't either, it's all up to Jaime. Jaime and I just hang out in the room all day...company would be great! Please don't come if you're sick, though. We don't need any cooties...we've got enough of our own! Just so you know visiting hours are from 8 to 8.

No pics today, Jaime was EXTREMELY fussy and not feeling his best!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for Jaime so that we can get out of here on Wednesday...you know we have our big Cincinnati trip coming up on Thursday! Not to mention the awesome benefit on Sunday. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I hope Jaime stops coughing soon - sometimes that can cause curtain children to vomit. Noah is one of those! He can actually make himself vomit if coughing!

    Sending thoughts and prayer and hoping you all get sprung from the hospital very soon!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl,

    I'm sorry that Jamie is still sick and coughing. Sounds terrible. I wish you guys a speedy recovery from the illness. I know if takes these guys awhile to get over a virus once it sets in.

    We are going to the hospital tomorrow for Carter's hernia repair and gtube insertion. I will also be spending the night in the hospital tomorrow night for observation. I, of course, am nervous about surgery. Wish you guys the best

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.