Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Up to the minute Update!

The pulmonologist was in this morning...Jaime is almost asleep, so I thought I would update the post now.
Here's what was discussed this morning....

Tis' the season for the "flu" fa, la, la, la, laaa, la, la, la, laaa.

Having said that...the floor is being filled with more and more "new germs." The drs. understand how fragile Jaime is and are thinking that he may be "safer" at home. They know that we are experienced parents and with the proper home equipment, we might be able to take Jaime home tomorrow.
Jaime is not much better. He has gotten some much needed sleep, though. I think the aerosol treatments are helping him so much. Not to mention the antibiotic. He is still coughing, rather bad now. His secretions have definitely increased...we've been using the suction on Jaime all day and last night...it's the only thing that will give him relief. His intake is not getting better (he's had about 7 oz. all day and threw up his first bottle-by now he should have had 15-18 oz.) He was weighed...drum roll please....Jaime is 11 lbs 9 oz. There is much discussion about reinserting the NG to put Jaime on the pump at night for supplemental calories. He is not on the chart for his real age and is just barely 3% for his adjusted age. There is some great concern about this between Rainbows and Cincy. We're going to give it one more day and see what his weight is in the morning. On the plus side, he is pooping good....without MiraLax, too. It's either the antibiotics or the new formula...most likely a combination of both. Either way, it's effortless for Jaime....that's just what he needs right now considering breathing is so hard for him.
He's extremely fussy and is fighting to sleep. His cough is sometimes "barky" and sometimes juicy. He was put on the cool mist mask during the night and is on the humidified O2 during the day. Poor guy just isn't himself. We'll see how he is tomorrow, but Jaime's nurse Nikki is thinking that maybe Tuesday or Wednesday would be better days for him to leave. Plus it may take a minute to get the new equipment we might need at home.


Here are a few pics I took today...Jaime is cracking smiles and flirting with the nurses...yep, he's cheating on his Cincy nurses. You can tell just by looking at him that he's not feeling all that great!


Here's Jaime's boxing hand (the left one).


That's all for now...Jaime is fighting so hard to sleep...I'm going to see if I can't rock him again to calm him down.


P.S.
Mimi, thanks for calling...I got your message...hope you girls are having fun! :-)
I was in the middle of suctioning Jaime and he was having a desat episode (down to 83%), so I couldn't get your call! It was nice to hear from you, I hope you were able to get a hold of the boys at home! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Praying for Jaime. Poor little boy, sure does look like he doesn't feel well...hope that turns around soon. Many times when Ian gets a cold, those breathing treatments help so much! Get some rest Jaime and hope you feel better with each passing day.

    Thinking of you,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all! I haven't been around the blogs in awhile and just started to catch up... I hope Jaime starts to feel better quickly and you are able to go home soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.