Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Last Night in Cincinnati?!?




We spent the entire day (9hrs) up at the hospital today. We had some more last minute training sessions with Jaime's nurse, Dawn (she's FANTASTIC, we love her and will really miss her). Jaime's doing well for the most part. He PASSED his car seat challenge today. It's an "angle" thing...he must be angled backwards instead of upright, if he sits like that in the car, he should be fine. I even tested him out in the stroller for tolerance, he did awesome! Once I get him home, I think it will be a little challenging to travel too much...at least at first. (Part of that is because of the 8 meds he's on and dosing times of each.)

We're all packed up and ready to go HOME tomorrow! I'm just hoping that Jaime thinks that's a good idea, too. It's been a long journey, but when my sister asked us at dinner tonight if it felt like we've been down here for nearly 14wks., I actually said, "no." The time flew by, sometimes I forget that it's even summer. I'm glad it feels that way, we've been through so much, it's amazing we can even see straight. (I think Dawn would beg to differ with me, especially after I spilled Jaime's tube feed on her and him this afternoon...this followed by "spirited" laughter and tears...HA! Sorry, Dawn!) Overall, I think we're ready to start the next part of our journey with Jaime. It will be the first time that we will actually be a family of four. What an interesting thought. Tom and I are both anxious to get home, so hopefully things will go smoothly tomorrow and we can get home at a reasonable hour.

To all of our friends and family at home...I PROMISE I will call once we're settled. I can't wait to see each and every one of you, but we do need some time to get settled in. As many of you know, we did not prepare to bring Jaime home, so we have some minor preparations to complete before we can have visitors in and out of the house. Thank you so much for your understanding!


Thank you to everyone for your continued support, it has definitely made our time in Cincinnati much better knowing you were all there for us!
We are going to miss our Cincinnati CDH Friends, especially, The Luken Family, The Toney's, The Adlers (here's hoping Carter starts to get better real soon), The DiGregorio's (hope Gia starts to improve), and all of the special families we met along the way at Ronald McDonald House. You guys are great, we couldn't have asked for better people to go through this with! :-) Feel free to visit us in Cleveland anytime!

We are also going to miss all of our nurses, drs. and the entire staff in the RCNIC. We can not thank you enough for saving our baby's life. You are all angels sent from heaven! We know things could have turned out much differently had we chosen not to come down here. I can't wait to see all of you again at our High Risk Clinic Visits! :-)

Well, I think I'm going to get to bed...tomorrow will prove to be a busy day!

Wish us luck on our journey northward!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so very happy for you guys. Congrats and best wishes to you!! This is such a big day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will miss you as well. Hoping you have a safe trip home. It will be overwhelming at first, but you will figure out what works best for you and your family. Looking forward to seeing you again in a couple of weeks. Don't forget dinner on the 28th. Call if you need anything or want or need to talk.

    We love you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.