Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

GREAT DAY!!!




Today was an awesome day!
Jaime got caught up on his sleep. He slept from 2:30 P.M. yesterday until 3:30 A.M. this morning. (The picture with Kim was taken at 4:30 A.M. We LOVE her and will miss her sooooooo much!) He then went back to sleep until 9:30.
He was very happy today. He was a bit naughty in that he pulled out his NG (nose to stomach tube). I thought I would take advantage of him doing this by snapping a few photos. I must have taken at least 10 of them...the half smile one was the cutest! Guess who had the "pleasure" of reinserting the NG? ME! It was totally gross, but really easy!

Bottle-wise the following is what Jaime took today. It totals 313mls orally. That's just about 10 1/2 ounces!
7:00 A.M.-In Tube, 10:00 A.M.-40mls, 1:00 P.M. 63mls, 4:00 P.M.-60mls, 7:00 P.M.-75mls (full feed) with a little spit up, 10:00 P.M. 75mls. (full feed) No spit up! Megan, Jaime's nurse tonight, said that she's going to wake him up at 1:00 A.M. to see what he'll do then. We can not believe how well he's taken off with his feeding. OT, PT and SP were amazed with his progress.

Not only were the feedings exciting, Tom and Jared came back! They were greeted with a HUGE smile from Jaime (and me, of course). They couldn't believe how much Jaime has changed. I couldn't believe how big Jared looks.
He came back with a weird looking infection on the exterior of his ear, so we made a late night trip to Urgent Care. Turns out it's some sort of bacterial infection and it's in his ear, too according to the dr. We were in and out of there in 35 minutes. How fantastic is that? We'd NEVER get out that fast at home! Jared's now on antibiotic ointment, ear drops and syrup. (He had a scratch on his knee that looked the same way, so the dr. wanted to cover all bases.) He's fine, though, no fever or anything like that.

I'm off to bed...tomorrow is an extremely busy day of training for Tom and I. (You know how people always say that they wish babies came home with a manual? Well, Jaime actually DOES come home with one! Lucky us! :-) Fortunately, Bev has graciously offered to take Jared for the day so that we can get everything done! Thanks, Bev, you've been so wonderful and supportive, we're truly going to miss you.

Until tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to stick my nose in his fluffy hair and inhale deeply. Nothing better than the smell of a babies hair :)

    I can't beleive he is about to come home!!! WOW

    Of course, he is amazing. Just look at his parents. You guys have handled this whole jorney with so much grace. You should write a manual for other CDH parents.

    Looking forward to seeing you all once you are home, settled, and ready for company :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way Jaime is looking at Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime is a champ! Jared is a great kid!
    I heart Bev!
    I hope 2 pm on Sunday works for everyone! The only one missing will be Jaime!
    I am so excited for you to take Jaime home!
    We will miss you, but know that you all need to be back in Cleveland.
    BTW, Shaq is going to play for the Cavs, Ryan is making plans for all of us to visit!
    Much love & blessings!
    Jeanie & Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.