Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 13, 2009

Rounds X 2...

It was a very a long night with Jared. He slept great, it was Tom and I who didn't sleep. The nurse came in to check on Jared several times during the night. He was fine, stable vital signs all night. This morning the hematology resident came by to recheck Jared. His bump on his head actually went down from last night. Jared's shoulder is more bruised today. When he woke up he told the nurse his head was hurting really bad, but refused Tylenol, until his breakfast came. After his Tylenol he felt better. Child Life even brought him a bucket of Legos to play with...I think THIS is what really made him fell better! :-)




Jared's rounds were at 9:30. I think he felt special to have his own little medical team looking after just him. The team consisted of 4 hematologists and his nurse. His discharge plan was decided at that point. Jared was discharged late this afternoon after having Factor and more blood drawn. He will continue to be on 1250 units of Factor for the next 5 days, then he will go to a 3 times a week schedule of 1000 units 2x a week and 1250 units once a week. The only thing I'm bummed about is that they took his IV out, so I have to stick him everyday for the next 5 days. We called Cleveland to coordinate the doses for us, hopefully we'll have all of our supplies and medication sent to Cincinnati tomorrow. Jared will be following up with someone (either in Cincy or Cleveland, depending on where we are) next week. Overall, he's doing GREAT! He's just tired and his minimal pain. His biggest complaint tonight is a wiggly tooth that he's terrified of falling out! HA! Stay tuned...the tooth fairy may be coming to our "house" for the first time ever really soon.....
Oh, I almost forgot, Jaime's night shift nurses and Jaime made Jared a card.
This picture was taken at 3:39 A.M. Can you believe it? Silly girls...silly baby!



HA! Thanks Emily and Ashley, Jared really got a kick out of his special card. :-)



Now on to Jaime. Meg, one of Jaime's NP's, came to Jared's room to check on him this morning. This was really nice because we also got to talk about Jaime before HIS rounds. I told her about the brady/desat last night. We also talked about his O2 requirement. So in rounds, Meg brought up our conversation with the drs. It's been decided and agreed upon by all of us that Jaime go home on O2. Dr. Crombleholme wanted to see what would happen if Jaime went to 1/2 liter flow at 100% O2. Catie, Jaime's nurse, tried it this afternoon. Well, Jaime was satting 97%-100% with lowered heart and respiratory rates. He was happy, smiling, and drank 100% of his bottles. So, in short it was very successful! Now on to the yucky news. Because of the reflux issues last night, the drs. will be putting a ph probe down in Jaime (it's just like the NG) tomorrow for 24 hours. This will measure the amount of reflux Jaime is having...if at all. The outcome of the test will ultimately determine how soon the "H" word is in our future. Let's hope for minimal reflux so that we can get home soon!!!

This is really crazy, but, I'm going to go to bed now. It's only 9:26 P.M., but I woke up at 8:30 A.M. yesterday and only slept for 2 hours last night. I'm whipped! Shirley has Jaime tonight and told me to stay at the hotel and rest, so that's exactly what I'm going to do!

Until tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Glad Jared is feeling better. Tell Jared that Anna's teeth just plop out. No pain at all. You don't even have to tug at it or anything.I hope the tooth fairy can come soon. Natalie said to tell you that she ate her tooth once on Thanksgiving. She freaked out. Go figure. Good luck with the probe and I hope that home is in your future soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.