Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mystery "Illness" Solved?!?!?

As you know, Jaime was set to go home on July 6th. This did not happen due to a mysterious illness...documented now as a "virus." Today, we may actually have some answers....

Let me digress for a moment...the PH Impedance Test came back...are you ready for this... it was WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS! He clearly has reflux, I believe there were at least 50 documented episodes, but medication should be able to remedy some of that. Having said that, our previously discussed discharge date will still stand...barring any further issues. Again, I will let everyone know that date when we are physically in the car on the way home!

Back to the mystery...while we were once again preparing discharge stuff today, one of the NP's came in and explained to me that Jaime needs to have a total long bone scan to search for bone breaks or fractures. This will be done tomorrow. She explained that this needed to be done because Jaime's most recent x-ray indicated that he had 2 healing right ribs fractures and that he has fragile bones. Huh...we had NO idea. Jaime's nurse and I looked back to the first documented day of the rib fractures and low and behold, it was July 6th. When we went back and looked at the timeline of events, everything made sense. So, in short, Jaime's "illness" most likely wasn't an illness at all, it was due to the fact that he had 2 fractured ribs. As bizarre as this all sounds, Tom and I are relieved that Jaime didn't have some random unknown illness. Apparently this, while scary, is very common due to the fragile bones. We were also told that Jaime's formula will need to be changed very quickly to compensate for the fragile bones. We'll let you all know when this takes place!

So, there you have it, mystery solved!!! Anyway, that's my update for today...I may try and post pics later, but I'm off to eat dinner now. Nothing like microwaveable turkey and mashed potatoes in a hotel room :-)! HA!

Have a nice evening!

4 comments:

  1. Sheryl,
    I am so glad that you have some answers!
    I just wanted to let me know what an amazing witness you have been to me through this whole experience. You have such a great and positive outlook on life and your boys. I know when we were in the NICU with Owen and we had Grace to deal with, I didn't do nearly the things that you are doing. You are really making the most of the experience and I think that is fantastic.
    darcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little Jaime... always keeping everyone on their toes. :-) Thinking of you guys!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the unknown - glad they gave you answers and you all will be home very soon!

    I hope the formula change agrees with Sir Jaime and how is Jared the wonder boy doing?

    With thoughts, prayers and Lung Function chants!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stand by my recommendation last week. Just wrap these kids in that bubble stuff and get them home!

    But, for now, very glad you have answers. I'm pretty sure that God's Hand is protecting Jamie -and big brother Jared. When you do come home we will just have to hug them both a little easier.

    Our love and prayers, Dale and Majken

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.