



Hello Friends and Fam,
Hope you're enjoying your holiday weekend as much as we are. Our day started at the hospital, as usual. Actually, I went up to the hospital for rounds which are at 9:30 on the weekends and Tom and Jared went to church.
I came up to Jaime's bedside to find him wide awake and smiling! Of course, I didn't get a single smile on camera, but none the less, he was awake and adorable!!! :-)
During rounds, extubation was discussed. This should be taking place tomorrow. Jaime's vent settings have been weaned some more. His vent is at 21% O2, Rate 20, and Pressure at 19. His abg's are perfect! He is having some medication withdrawal symptoms, so he has been put on Methadone and Ativan. Tomorrow, they will be weaning the Versed. His feeds are up to 2 mls an hour. He only spit up one time today, so I'm hoping they can just leave his feeding tube in his tummy instead of placing it in his jejunum (small intestine). He looked a lot more comfortable than yesterday. I sat and held him from 10:30 A.M. until 2:00 P.M. I would have held him longer, but we had a picnic to go to!
Bev and Al Luken invited us over for a Memorial Day Weekend Celebration. We had a "real" cook-out, not just food that was cooked on the grill and brought in. We sat outside while the kids played in the pool! Jared had a blast playing with Anna (8yr. old LCDH). Jeanie and Ryan (21yr. old LCDH) were there, too. Thanks soooo much for making us take a break from the hospital, we had a great time! Can't wait to do it again! ;-)
After the picnic, Tom's parents met us at the hospital. It was Papa's first time meeting Jaime. He was awake...for a moment! Jared can only stay at the hospital until 8:30 (RCNIC rules!), so we left and went to Grater's. It was delicious! For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a wonderful home made ice cream store.
Now, everyone is home in bed. I just called Ashley to check on Jaime (I do this every night, unless I'm up there late). She said that Jaime is fast asleep and doing well. I was going to go up there, but I decided to let him rest up for his big extubation day. Oh and as far as that goes, it may work or it may not. Jaime's lungs and behavior appear to be in shape for extubation, but we're not 100% sure of his airway. The drs. are hoping the swelling is down which will make it easier for Jaime to breathe on his own. I'll be sure to fill you in tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed...maybe say an extra prayer or two, for Jaime, too!
Good night,
Hugs,
Sheryl

Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteAnother great update. I love hearing how well Jaime is doing. The methadone and ativan are completely normal, in fact Emily came home on the ativan with a weening schedule. I'm rooting for a positive extubation experience tomorrow. Getting rid of that et tube is a big accomplishment and the sooner he is rid of it the sooner he can have more positive oral stimulation. I'd hate for Jaime(& you) to go through the oral aversion we're experiencing.
Have you given him flavored lip balm yet, Em used to love it, until she came home anyways ;)
Sneek in a little bit of heaven, aka Graeter's, that should do the trick!!!
It's so nice you have these two experienced CDH families to talk to and spend time with.
Jared looks like he enjoyed the picnic.
Love the blue mittens!
Hugs,
Sue
cp:Emilyishere
I will say an extra prayer today that everything goes well with extubation. I will come up some day this week and visit again. I hope that your family had a good time, and I am glad that Tom was feeling well enough to come.Tom's parents seem to be enjoying their visit. Jared will have to come back real soon. Anna looks infatuated with him. Good luck today and I will talk to you soon.
ReplyDeletePraying for a successful extubation today. So glad Tom's parents are enjoying their visit.
ReplyDeleteMuch love to you and your family.
Stephanie