Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Busy Day!





Today when I walked in, I found the drs. surrounding Jaime's bed conducting their daily rounds. Changes made today were to take him completely off of his Morphine (again-he was put back on it after he got sick). Also, his vent settings have been weaned down some more. When I left tonight he was on room air (21%), a rate of 25 and pressure of 20. Dr. Lim mentioned extubating Jaime within the next few days, as early as tomorrow...YIKES! Also, Jaime's feeds were bumped up to 2 ml's an hour. This freaks me out, too because I'm not producing a lot of milk, I'm worried about running out soon and not being able to keep up. He did spit up a few times today and had some gas, but over all did OK.
Shawna and I gave Jaime a bath this afternoon. He "cried" a few times, but over all did well. At the very least, we agreed that he looked better and smelled wonderful.

After Jaime was cozy in bed, I drove up to the outlet mall to get Jared. There is a playground there, so Jared played on that for a while before getting back in the car to head "home." We all went to see Jaime when we got back to RMH. I tried to hold Jaime again tonight, but apparently he was fussy while I was away, transferring him to lap didn't help his mood too much. He did calm down a little when I held him, but his ET tube almost came out a few times from him wiggling, so we put him back in his bed. It was safer that way. Thanks Jill and Karen for helping me out with that!

So, that's the update.
Please continue to pray for Jaime, especially for a successful extubation this week! :-)

Have a nice holiday weekend!

Love,
Sheryl

P.S. Pics are 1) A blurry smile from late last night; 2) His new hair do; 3) Comfy after bath; and 4) Us being peeping Tom's on Carter's parents in Pod C...LOL! Gotcha!

3 comments:

  1. :-) Cute pics.. good update.. the pic of Carter's parents is cute because it almost like dad doesn't have his shirt buttoned (i guess where mom is waving).. Hope the extubation goes well this week!!!

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    Thanks for your post on our CP site. We would love to meet you. You are the busy ones so let us know what works best for you. Sounds like Jamie is doing great and what a treat for you to get to hold him for so long the other day. He is adorable! Hope to meet you soon!
    Sarah DiGregorio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl, you are so positive all the time - it helps to be that way too - it is so hard for all families to pick up and move and then wait for these amazing babies - I just had to give you kudos for this!

    As for Sir Jaime - they are reading him for signs of if he is ready - sometimes you have to let the baby bird fly to see if they can - he is doing so well and absolutely adorable. I think he looks like his big brother!

    Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and sending Jaime and Carter Lung Function Chants!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.