


We know that people have been inquiring about Jaime's infection, well, we found out that it is Oxacillin Resistant Staph aureus (ORSA). Here is more info on ORSA. http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/info/infectious/diagnose/orsa.htm
Basically, it's a form of staph that stays colonized in one's body once acquired. Yep, that's right, we're adding ONE MORE THING to Jaime's list of diagnosis codes. ARGH! This is the very infection that Jaime's drs. were trying to avoid when moving him to Pod C in the first place! It's so frustrating! Jaime is back to 1:1 care and is in isolation. We were told that he could possibly stay on 1:1 care and in isolation for the duration of his time in the RCNIC.
So, we've been moved back to Pod D, this time to bed #3 instead of 2. We're on the other side of the window from Carter. Carrie and I can knock the Morse Code on the window to one another, HA! I suppose we can open the blinds and write notes to each other, too. I'm sure we'll get creative, what else do we have to do all day? LOL!
On the plus side, Jaime looks great. He's feeling much better than the last few days. So, the active infection of ORSA seems to be diminishing. (At least in my opinion anyway!) The drs. are still planning on going forward with Jaime's procedures tomorrow, so that's a good sign.
Here are some pics that we took of Jaime today. Jaime is stretched out in one, you can see exactly how big he's getting!
Enjoy!
Say a few extra prayers tonight for Jaime and Carter, as they are both having procedures tomorrow! Thanks!
XOXO,
Sheryl
P.S. Thanks, Emily K. and Family for my outfit. Jared LOVED my car outfit just as much at I did! Love, Jaime :-)

Well Mr Jaime, welcome to the Orsa club! As a member you receive the privilege of ONLY being attended to by peolpe in yellow gowns. You will be surrounded by screens because for some strange reason ID believes they stop the bacteria from moving around the POD!
ReplyDeleteObviously Emily has been part of this club and I have a bit of frustration about how ID dealt with it. I believe Emily was about 3 weeks when it appeared, except for the bedside nurse most staff didn't wear the gowns for weeks, until someone ratted them out to ID. After that it was nuts in our corner (bed #4 -right across from Jaime's new bed); always stuck behind screens, dozens of gowns a day, and then one day ID put red tape on the floor around our "contaminated area". We'd joke about how the Orsa couldn't go past this barrier.
Even when Emily moved to A Pod we had to be in isolation because the Orsa stays colonized inside of you and you test positive even though it is not an active infection. The day Emily was discharged they finally stopped using the gowns!
Then a week and a half later(mid June) she had a respiratory infection and was admitted to the local children's hospital, Hope, where they insisted on continuing the isolation because of the Orsa from February!!!!!
We hate yellow gowns!!!!!
My hope for you is that ID has lightened up a bit. Germs don't not spread because of tape and curtains. It is spread by the staff-they need to wash...wash...wash..and I believe somethings just happen no matter what you do.
The worst was just before Easter when the bunny came to visit. Babies that were allowed to be held were placed in a basket, photographed, and doted upon. Then they came to Emily who couldn't be held and who still had to be isolation (6 weeks after the Orsa): the bunny peeked over the screen and they took a photo. It was horrible. They wanted me to be happy with this! I was furious that my baby was treated so poorly, as if the bunny would die from being anywhere near Em. This also happened to be the first day she could wear clothes. We'd picked out a spring colored outfit for this special moment; they ruined it. I couldn't take it and left. Nurse Kelly (I LOVE her!!!) raised heck with these people for their insensitive treatment. I returned later to find the bunny had put on a yellow gown and took a picture closer to Emily. Not great, but at least they tried.
I hope, hope, hope that ID has figured out a more sensitive way of dealing with patients and parents.
I apolgize for going on and on, I didn't intend on retelling so much.
Prayers today for the scope.
I recongize those mittens! I'm glad they found out what it is but I so hope that this clears up soon.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and sending Jaime and Carter Lung Function chants,
Elizabeth