Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 7, 2009

An "Odd" Day- 05-07-09






Actually, today wasn't too "odd," it's just that the date is consecutive odd numbers!

Today was a great day! Jaime got baptized by Pastor Eric and Jared started school!
The baptism was really nice, in spite of it being in the NICU. Unfortunately, Ted, Jaime's Godfather/Sponsor, wasn't able to participate today being that he's in San Diego, but Jennifer, Jaime's Godmother/Sponsor, was able to listen and respond via speaker phone. Speaking of Jenn, she sent Jaime the beautiful cross, medal and Mary statue...it came just in time for Jaime's baptismal day, thanks Jenn!
When we get home, we're hoping to have a more formal ceremony at our church with Pastor Schuler, whom we spoke to earlier today, he's going to announce Jaime's baptism this week at church!

Now on to Jared...he had a BLAST at school today. They are learning about bugs and got to dig up worms today...EWE! He was covered in dirt and was wet, but loved every minute of it! He had homework and had fun completing it all. He can't wait to go back tomorrow!
With Jared at school, Tom and I were able to focus on Jaime more. We were able to be there when the nurses changed his dressings and when he had his picc line from his right foot removed. He has quite the red, broken down skin on his poor little foot. Christie, Jaime's 1st shift nurse and the picc line nurse did an awesome job cleaning and dressing it! Hopefully, it will heal nicely!
As for rounds, nothing new was said, the docs just talked about tomorrow's surgery! As of tonight, we're still a "go" for tomorrow. Our plan is to go up there about 7:30 A.M., when Jaime goes in to the OR, Tom will take Jared to school. The school is really close, so Tom will be back before Jaime's out. Hopefully, we'll hear that the surgery was uneventful and Jaime will recover nicely!
I'm still terrified of the whole thing, but I know it needs to be done, so all we can do is hope and pray for the best! :-)

Over all, Jaime had a great day! He only had a few minor desats...nothing like last night, when his heart rate went in to the 20's and he desatted down to 11 (YIKES-Emily got him back pretty quick, though, thanks, Emily). We were even able to catch him smiling on camera today! He smiles more and more every day and he LOVES his purple pacifier! One of Jaime's HUGE smiles came when I told him that his massage therapist, Carol, was coming, he loves her! Thanks, Carol for keeping Jaime "calm" during his dressing changes and assessments.
Enjoy the pics and pray for an uneventful surgery!
Thanks,
Love,
Sheryl

9 comments:

  1. Just your blog stalker checking in. :-) I am glad to hear little Jaime is doing well. I've been keeping up with you guys and praying for tomorrow!!! Much love and many prayers!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl-

    Thinking of you all and praying for smooth surgery and a quick recovery. I love the pics of Jaime. He is quite the little fighter...and even does it with a smile :) Let us know how tomorrow goes, and kiss him for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl,

    Please know that you remain in our prayers. Your little boy seems to be amazing and so so so cute in the photo's!!

    Praying that surgery goes smoothly! I'm sure your little champion will continue to show how wonderfully strong he is.

    Love and Thoughts

    Mike & Beth
    www.babyjamesreeve.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    I'm not sure if you remember me or not but I taught at St Anselm a while ago (8 years)! Anyway, my nieces and nephew (Brad, Maddie and Evie Horton) told me what was going on and I wanted to let you know that your are all in my thoughts and prayers. Also, I now live in Cinci so if there is anything that you need, please let us know. We are more than happy to help out with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops - sorry I didn't sign my name!!! Lauren Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been watching you guys from the beginning and praying for you. I will say many extra prayers today while he is surgery. He is a strong little boy and will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. praying so hard that the surgery is a success!!! Will be thinking of you all day long. Be strong and hang in there!

    Much love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boys are so precious. I hope surgery is a breeze today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the text and picture of the new & all fixed up Jaime!
    God bless!

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.